Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #1 
Aven

Smile New to Bettas

Hello everyone! Today I just got my bet Betta, I've named him Aurora because his colors remind me of the northern lights. I did a lot of research beforehand, and am still doin alot. I got the Fluval EDGE 6 gallon starter set. It was expensive, but came with alot of cool stuff. I set it up, it came with a filter (which I set on low as I know Bettas like calm waters) a 10 watt heater, and a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle and NutrafinAqua plus. Ive recently learned about the aquariam cycle, and this product claims to be a dense dose of good bacteria, and helps keep ammonia and nitrate levels down. The Aqua Plus just cleans tap water, eliminating any traces of metal or chlorine. I let the water mature for a day, and I know I could have bought some really fancy Betta online. But, I decided to go to Petco, and try to do almost a fish rescue. Aurora was one of the better looking ones, but that still isnt saying much. But im happy to report, that only a couple hours later, he seems much happier and more active. Also, I bought a algae magnet, and a Siphon. ATM I am using Hikari Betta food pellets. Sorry for that extremlely long post, in short I was just looking for things I may have forgotten or some tips for you long time Betta owners in nursing Aurora back to full health. Thanks!

* My tank has black gravel, a conch shell, two plastic plants, and a snail shell. Am planning on getting a live plant. Plastic plants seem feeble and not strong enough to shred fin.

Last edited by Aven; 07-30-2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the tank
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...looking forward to seeing pic of your new wet-pet and hearing more about him....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

Souhds like you are going to make a great betta owner! =] Welcome to the forums!

Just be careful of the conch & snail shell if they are real. I know that some people think that they decompose in the water and release things that aren't good.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #4 
Aven

Thank you! I just looked up the shells, and I will probably be replacing them soon. They said frequent water changes will reduce the amount of calcium in the water. Aurora is doing much better than in his jail in Petco, his once shriveled top fin is now spread out and beautiful. And hes much more active. Hacing trouble making him notice the food sometimes, but I think thats common?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #6 
frogipoi

Hay! You stole my betta's name! Mine is Aurora Sky. Pics?
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

Welcome to the forum! =]
I'd advise buying some aquarium salt just in case. =]
also a small 1 gallon bowl/vase/container to use as a hospital tank. Again just in case. =]

Do not let those plastic plants deceive you. Mine seemed harmless too. ;_;

So you're doing a fish-in cycle? =]

EDIT:

If you have about 30-35 dollars of cash left, then I suggest picking up an API Master Freshwater Test Kit and some gloves to use while you're testing the ammonia... I got some on my hands and they still itch. =/ I washed well too. =/

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-31-2010 at 12:12 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #8 
Aven

Yes, I used some water purifier and Nutrafin cycle to have some bacteria and left the water to sit for around 2 days. The label said allows for instant fish entry, but I wanted to be safe O.o 2 days was reccommended for what the person at Petland told me. Pictures when Aurora's feeling better.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #9 
frogipoi

Okay. Aurora (mine) has fin rot and we are putting AQ salt in today till the Indian Almond leaves come.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #10 
Aven

Is he a VT? and is he in a "hospital tank"?