Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #1 
Seki

You know you're in the pet store too much when...

I had one of those moments today. I went in looking for Stability to kickstart my ten gallon's cycle and of course I had to take a look at the bettas. They had the prettiest little female with icy blue fins, so I had to stop and coo at her a bit, but I told myself no more fish!!

So as I was turning away from the bettas, I heard another customer asking one of the staff a question about bettas. The staff member told her "I don't actually know much about bettas, but I know that girl has a lot of them. Maybe she knows." And she was pointing at me! I guess that's what happens when I go in there literally every week for something or other hahaha.

Anything like this ever happen to you guys? What was your clue that you go in to your local pet store too much?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #2 
Mar

Cute story! It's good he redirected her to you instead of giving her false information, or information he was unsure of! Did she ask you?

Umm, not really. They just know me lol. I feel so awkward walking in. It's just like "yeah, i'm here again, staring at your bettas for an hour, trying to decide"
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Oh that's funny. I know I'm in petstores too much when I get the stares from the employees after I lectured them about how they take care of them (bad stores only).
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 
Seki

Yeah lol she asked me about tankmates for a betta she was getting for her daughter. It was only a 5 gallon setup, so I told her one snail or a few shrimp, nothing more. I'm not the best versed on tankmates, but I know a 5 gallon won't support much.

LOL I know the feeling. I may or may not decide to buy something I don't need just for an excuse to go look at their fish... >.>
Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #5 
Mar

Good that she at least has it in a 5gallon! :)

I'm too shy to lecture. The most I've done is point out a couple dead bettas and they just kinda give me the feeling that I pissed them off, pointing it out in front of customers.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If I'm not up to lecturing or there arent any employees around I'll put all the dead ones on the desk thingie and move the sick ones to the front of the shelves... Guilt is great when you are dealing with things like this.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #7 
Mar

Oh I do the sick thingy. I like putting the ones at the back in front so they get a chance too.
however, if there is a really beautiful betta I can't get, and really deserves a better home, I put it in front so that people will notice it and hopefully adopt it.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

Yes I am the one who gets pointed at for lecturing. I went into one Petco and I became part of the the low voiced new employee orientation where the employee who thought I couldn't hear was given a full spiel and warning about me.

I had thought about putting the dead and dying bettas in front Matt that's a good one. I will have to do that. I normally put bettas I know have been there a long time in front.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #9 
Seki

LOL guys, make friends with the employees, not war! I talk to them in a friendly way and show them pictures of my bettas. And whadaya know? Pretty soon they're following some of my advice!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #10 
jadaBlu

I do that when they are open to it. However, there are two Petco's in my area where the employees seem to be born with a bad attitude where fish are just merchandise not living breathing beings.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote