Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #1 
frogipoi

Exclamation The starting of fin rot?

Aurora tore his fins, and I need help. It looks like he has fin rot! No heaters, but I will get aquarium salt for him. Warning:NO HOSPITAL TANK! Gan I use a 2 pint jar for his medication? Help! I am a bad mommy for putting plastic plants in. I took them out but I was to busy for cleaning!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

To get him well you are going to have to make time for him, he depends on you for everything......

Why do you think it is fin rot now?

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, do you have a filter or live plants, what kind of additives do you use, if any, food what kind, how much and how often are you feeding and do you remove any uneaten food after feeding.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #3 
frogipoi

His tail has a dark red edging in an area.
2.5 gallon tank, weekly 50%, 6 days ago, have a filter, one live plant(anubia), feed him aqueon pellets, yes I remove uneaten food, feed him 4 tiny pellet in the morning and afternoon.
He acts normal, but he does show his fins and say "my tail fin must be wrong".
I am getting AQ salt tomorrow and doing a 85% water change tomorrow as well. It is tiny(the area that may be infected) so it won't kill him.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #4 
frogipoi

Ah! It is 88*F in his tank but he seems fine. I need to find a way for him to cool.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Wait. Did you say you don't have a heater in the first post? If so how'd your water get to 88 degrees Fahrenheit?

And may all plastic plants magically disappear. >=/ I hate that the same thing that happened to Genie happened to Aurora. =[

If you need a hospital tank why not pick up a cheap Critter Keeper/Kritter Keeper, or a gallon or 2 gallon jar?
Do you have any BIG pickle hjars? like the ones sold at Sam's Club or Cosgo? those are 1 gallon and easy to clean. =] Unfortunately you have to net the fish for water changes. =/

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-30-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: didn't make the plastic plant face angry enough. =/
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sounds to me-by your answers- that you are a good fish mom.......

I would start by treating him in his tank for now, start by making daily 50% water changes, clean water is the best medication for fish and it can help prevent secondary infection.
If after a few days of dedicated daily 50% water changes and it looks like it is not getting better or looks worse-
I would Qt him and start the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days.
I can't stress enough the importance of water changes especially when it comes to injuries.
Also be aware that too strong of a current from the filter can be part of fin issues...like a flag flapping in the wind...so make sure the current is not too strong.

I knew you where a good fish keeper.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

I side with OFL on this. Didn't notice you called yourself a bad fishmom. =/ You're a GREAT fishmom! It was an accident. =]
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #8 
frogipoi

The filter is fine, he stays out of the currents. He tore his fin on a plastic plant, but I removed it. I am doing a 85% change tomorrow cause I didn't do it today. I am getting AQ salt tomorrow and I am going to test the water (ammonia) and cycle the tank if I can. I am going to put him in a bigger jar to lower stress. I am a good fish mommy!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #9 
frogipoi

I am going to get a bowl (for the hospital tank) and get AQ salt tomorrow cause it looks like he really has fin rot. His tail is split there is a tiny hole. I will add 1 teaspoon of salt in the morning and 1 teaspoon of salt at night. Sound good?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Only 1 tsp. of Aq. salt per gallon per water change. So about 1 tsp per day. =]