Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #1 
Drift

Euthanize?

Not sure if anyone has been following what I've been saying on here as I've gotten almost no feedback, but Bubba's been sick.
I went on another website and we concluded it's most likely Columnaris.
I can't tell if he's getting worse or better. I put the light over his aquarium today and he look worse. Most of his body looks like it's wasting away. The top area is very spiny, his eyes became cloudy, and he's loosing a lot of his color.
Today he started kind of almost floating sideways like he's getting swimmer's bladder. He's been less active, but is eating like a pig.
I have one type of medication left to use that I bought today but I'm honestly wondering if this is old age. I've had him for 2.5 years so he's gotta be almost 3 years old.
Don't give me ways to euthanize, I just want an opinion on whether I should or not. I'll take him to work and have him put down humanely and cremated.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #2 
creamcookie

Use the meds first, if all else fails, it could be that he is too sick or old. I'm sorry about his sickness!
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #3 
noenyu

I'm kind of new to bettas, I took my younger sisters betta (Taco) because she stopped caring for it and he got sick with something (I think it was bacteria infection) do to a lack of cleaning (1 gallon tank, no filter and she would leave it a week+ without cleaning). I'm not sure this will help, and I know there's some questions on if it does more harm then help but I used melafix with pimafix (very low dose - I have measuring spoons that measure dash, pinch, smidgen and nip and used a smidgen each of melafix and pimafix) every day and some aquarium salt (I used a pinch with every water change) with I think maybe a 80-90% water change (I would put him into a little container with some old tank water and put him into his clean tank with the water that was in the container with him) every other day. He had stopped eating, stayed at the very bottom of the tank or in his plant and would flop over to the side at times. After 7 days of all that he's better now. I hope that can help and I hope Bubba gets better.
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

I'm so sorry. I'd try the next treatment.

I don't think you should honestly. I'd let him live out his last days in a warm, loving environment rather than euthanize him but that's just my opinion. =[

If you do euthanize him I think cremating him is a nice gesture. You could scatter his ashes in the substrate of your next tank or over a near-by stream. <=]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #5 
Drift

I had texted my vet and had it set up for when I was done work tomorrow. However my boyfriend and I decided to go for the last treatment. If he holds out until two weeks it's the Keystone Veterinary conference and their are some fish experts that I'm going to try to consult with. I'm going to keep researching too.
All of my Betta's will be cremated. They're all very special to me. :)
Thanks everyone. I was really upset earlier and didn't feel it was the right choice but I thought it might have been selfish of me.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #6 
noenyu

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this but when my fish was sick I read that charcoal filter will remove the medicine so you have to remove the charcoal portion of the filter while giving the medicine.
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #7 
Drift

My hospital tank is unfiltered (it's easier to keep cleaner without any substrate and it is heated), and I've been using a little more effective medications. Colmunaris usually kills fish in 72 hours but he's been hanging in there since the beginning of July.
I think the swimming side ways is related to constipation.
I got all the basics covered. I just don't know what to do next.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

With colmunaris you have two strains, a fast acting one that usually kills the fish within 24 hours and a slower mover type that the fish can recover from.
For colmunaris-you want to lower the water temp to 75-76F, add an air stone-add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal-up to 3tsp/gal, daily 100% water changes.
However, if he has any swelling issues I would not use aquarium salt-this will only make it worse.

IMO-the symptoms you post sound more like internal parasites-lethargy, wasting, weight loss but still eating, failure to thrive, color fade can all be signs of internal parasites.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #9 
Adastra

If the fish is still eating, he's telling you he wants to live. I wouldn't euth a fish that was still eating, personally. Once they stop eating and can't get up to the surface to breathe, their quality of life is very low, and they should be put down.

My first impression is not internal parasites, though it is a possibility, I suppose--all the fish I have seen with internal parasites have a loss of appetite. It's possible that the fish had a systemic infection, probably not columnaris, since that usually is found around the face/mouth and tends to actually show up on the scales of the betta as well, often in the characteristic "saddleback" pattern. If was internal columnaris, I'm fairly certain the fish would be very dead right now.

Have you researched Malawi bloat at all? This is a condition that's become a lot more prevalent in bettas--I have had a female that had it, a friend of mine ordered a beautiful male from a breeder a year ago who recently passed away from it too. The symptoms involve bloating that progressively becomes worse even though the fish is pooping regularly and shows no loss of appetite. You might want to research this possibility and see if it's consistent with your betta's symptoms. The unfortunate thing about MB is that it's not as treatable as other conditions...

What meds have you tried so far?

Last edited by Adastra; 08-04-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #10 
Drift

The bloating was due to constipation, my boyfriend hadn't soaked his pellets in water when he fed him. He had a good couple poo's in his tank and he seems to be swimming better.
He does have a slimy white string coming off his back that I noticed 3 days ago. The white almost pimple like sore on the side of his face was almost identical to when he had columnaris when I first got him 2.5 years ago.
I treated him with
-Lifeguard by Tetra
-Tetracycline by API with Jungle Anti-Bacterial Pills
-Jungle Fungle Tabs
-Maracyn One
-and 1 dose so far of Kanaplex by Sea Chem He'll get another tomorrow as it's every 2 days until symptoms clear. =/ Kanamycin is the most recommended treatment for Columnaris.
How long should I do the Kanamycin before i call it quits and try something else?

I just don't want to cause organ failure from all these medications. He just seemed so miserable yesterday and was really upset and started to feel like he was suffering.
I'll do 100% daily water changes, I use salt with them already since he is sick.