Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #1 
arkenn2

Got my first betta today!

I did some research before i got it and i found a beautiful bi color double tail for 8 bucks at petco. it has a red body and 50% of the fins are clear/blackish color.

imagine this fish with a DT and a bit darker body

Petco had so many beauties! they had a pineapple halfmoon that looked mroe like a veil for $16.. is that worth it? i've heard pineapple is rare and i might just want to go back and get it!
it looked exactly like this one
Also they had a beautiful female DT mustard for like $4. i see fish of this quality on ebay for $30!! do you guys think that fish would be worth getting?

Many of the fish were as good looking as the ones i see on bidding sites at such a cheap price i almost wanna buy em all!

Last edited by arkenn2; 07-21-2010 at 11:45 PM.
arkenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #2 
Welsh

IMO, for a first betta I would go for the cheap $4 one :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #3 
KBoone

N'mind.

Last edited by KBoone; 07-22-2010 at 11:41 AM.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #4 
mjbn

just start off easy since it's your first, then soon enough after you learn the basics&some tricks, you can double up on quantity&get a rarer, nicer looking betta(:
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #5 
arkenn2

i know you guys thik youre all like macho betta owners because you joined a forum but i have more experience with fish/pet owning than you guys have obviously judged. im not someone who keeps a fish in a half gal tank. infact the double tail i bought looks much nicer than most i have seen on this site so far, ill try to get a picture soon. i would love it if you guys would answer my questions though since youre so informed on these fish, i would hate to pass up my chance on a pineapple betta and a mustard gas CT betta whos genetics are most likely worth passing on.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #6 
Welsh

We didn't mean to insult you and nor did we accuse you of keeping your betta in a half gallon tank but from the title of your post you said that this was your first betta and so we were merely trying to help you by suggesting the cheaper betta, why? well because betta's aren't as easy to take care of as people think, their tails get damaged quite easily and they are prone to diseases. The owner can look after their betta as if it were the queen but they can still get infection or damage their selves with a plant, gravel, strong filter current or tail biting and as pet store betta's are quite old when sold this is even more likely IMO

When I first started out I had a 5 betta, it was a heated and filtered 2.5 gallon which I changed twice weekly but after just a month of buying him he died with fin rot IMO I did everything necessary, I fed him, gave him clean water and cycled his tank, so was he sold to me like that or was it my fault? So from that experience I will always recommend a 5 betta to a 30 betta as a first, now that I am more experienced I went for a more expensive betta but that doesn't mean I still don't ask questions, members that have been in this hobby for years still ask questions I'm sure.

What betta you buy and how much you spend is up to you and for the record... that pineapple looks gorgeous and I apologise if I seem like I am blabbering on, I blame the wine lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #7 
BunniesLair

I am new, have just had my betta for a week and half. I got him as a gift. Just letting you know, so that you understand I am a fish -and- betta noob.

I think if your intention is to mate them to get babies (or fry? not sure of the proper wording) and you have the experience, go for it; because honestly, only you can really say whether the price is worth it to you.

It would be great to hear about your progress in that area if you do decide to go forward with it.
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #8 
arkenn2

Yeah i just feel like they may be show quality bettas that are worth the risk. So lets say i have my male DT betta that has bi color, extremely full fins (red body 50% of fins are see thru blackish). How do i choose a good mate for him?

For the pineapple like the one above (except halfmoon), would a mustard crowntail go well with it?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #9 
BunniesLair

I see what you are getting at now. I do not know ichthyology at all. So what color genetics would be passed on from the male versus female are way beyond me.

Hopefully someone with experience in raising them can help you. If you did decide to give it a whirl, you could always keep a journal and chart what the babies ended up looking like. After charting you could possibly find a pattern, or percentage of probability of which attributes are more likely to be passed on from that pairing.
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #10 
kingbetta

just picked up a pineapple crowntail today (pineapple express). i couldn't pass him up! pix coming soon!
kingbetta is offline   Reply With Quote