Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #1 
BettaBoy84

Talking Snorkeling for LIVE PLANTS

Hey ALL,

I am at my cottage in southern ontario, and just went snorkeling with my GF. We stayed close to the shoreline and collected small plants for my aquarium. I found many small grass like ground huggers, green and purple pike grass and fern like plants that move nice in the water.

Wondering if because the plants were found in fresh water, they would do well and be beneficial to the fish, and water quality in the aquarium.

Plus, its a lot of fun exploring for great looking plants, and A LOT cheaper!

BETTA BOY
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #2 
frogipoi

Are they tropical? Bettas are picky and some plants won't do.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #3 
BettaBoy84

They grow in the wild in Southern Ontario, Canada.

NOt sure they native too, north America I would assume.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #4 
BettaBoy84

Would cycling the tank for the 2-6 week period with the lake plants in it ensure nothing bad will hurt the fish? Like parasites, or bad bacteria?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #5 
XSprinkleFaceX

Yahh another Ontarian. I don't know how our plaants would do because the status of our lakes when it come to toxins is very iffy. Some are clean others are polluted. Wait for oldfishlady, i know she does alot of natural things in her aquariums and she picks alot of wild live plants so...yah
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

That sounds like tons of fun! =] I'll have to check into the toxicity of my local lake and go diving there to check it out... since it's man-made it night not have anything but who knows? =]

Hope it works out to where you can use them! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #7 
frogipoi

Wild plants may carry parasites and unwanted bacteria. You have to rinse it well in hot water 3-5 times to make sure. Be careful, and make sure they can live at tropical temps.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I would QT the plants you collect for 1 week- 2 weeks even better and during this QT period keep them in a bucket of water outside in full sun and then slowly move them into shade for longer period to prevent the native plants from a light shock and melting.
I rinse the plants and provide fresh dechlorinated water a couple of times a week too, depending on how dirty they are, I have collected plants covered in soil that I would do daily rinse on during the QT.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #9 
BettaBoy84

I am home from the cottage and have put the plants in dechlorinated jugs in full sun, and they will stay there for 2 weeks with frequent water changes.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I also found some really good black sand, and was hoping to use this in my new tank, If i follow the same procedures as the plants to clean the sand, Could I use it in a tank? I don't want to pour in all of the wet sand and have a big mess on my hands.

Its the same sand the plants grew in too.

Thanks

BETTA BOY
Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I keep the natural planted tank that have soil from my yard in some and potting soil in others, kitty litter mix and clay in yet another tank, all with a sand cap.

On one of my tanks I used sand that I collected from my stock pond for the sand cap and what a mess it was......... the slits from this sand would never really settle. I finally had to try and siphon most of it out and then add a layer of gravel over the pond sand and soil and this was tough since I had it planted already...lol....anyway.... what I am getting at with your collected sand is to watch out for those silts...they can sure cause a mess, but you will never know unless you try it...and the way you describe it...personally I would try it....if your tank is still empty I would add it-fill with water-turn the filter on and see what happens.....look forward to pics too-it sounds awesome.........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote