Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #1 
Kokonoko

Question First Water exchange: 25%

Hey, wanted to ask a quick question because its somewhat bothering me...

I did a 25% water change today, the first one this week for my 10g tank. When adding the new water though, it seemed to kick up alot of "debre" from the gravel though and in return made the water even more fogging despite the newly added water. This does not only worry me slightly but also is kind of annoying, I like my water looking crisp and clean

So I was wondering... Is there any harm in doing a 100% water exchange each week for a 10g tank? The Stress coat I have says that it removes ammonia, so cycling the tank shouldn't be a large worry, right? I also have a few plants growing in the tank(2) and I wouldn't be replacing the filter(I've purchased a bottle of carbon, so I'll only be replacing the carbon inside the bag every 3 weeks).

Or is there just a more simplistic solution? Other then the labor of carrying the fish tank around with water in it, I dont (As a newbie) see a problem, could someone explain this all to a 'green leaf' student? ;P
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Do you have a gravel vac? It sucks the gunk out of the gravel. Live plants are useful and one of the best is hornwort. Cycling keeps ammonia and nitrites in check, so luck with the stress coat. Again I recommend buying a hornwort, I love them.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #3 
Kokonoko

Thank you very much. Now theres another worry adding to my list, I just woke up this morning to find some sort of micro organisms crawling on the glass. they almost look like dust specs in the water, but there moving all around on the glass... Its worring me <.< Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you need to increase your water change percent and add gravel vacuuming.

When making your weekly water change-first-un-plug the filter and heater, use the siphon or gravel vac and vacuum the gravel in all places that you can reach without moving anything or disruption of the plant root and remove at least 50% of the water, more water won't hurt.

When you re-fill the tank with fresh dechlorinated like temp water, do it slowly so not to disturb the gravel to much, I pour the water over my hand so not to disturb the substrate to much and kick the dirt up.

Give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change to get the big pieces of gunk off 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows.

Plug the heater and filter back in-within an hour or two the water should be clear

The critters in your tank are most likely harmless and a sign of a health tank but in need of better substrate cleaning and need for removal of uneaten food.

On a 10g cycled tank-filter and live plants I would not do complete break down or 100% water changes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #5 
Kokonoko

Thank you so much x.x Was becoming very worried for my lil guy =( I will definently up-take this advice! *Salutes*