Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #1 
Kathy60

ADDING A BETTA?

I have an established 5 gal with a algae eater as the only occupant. I got him a little over a year ago before I found out that he was not the good kind of algae eater to have, but I can't bear to do away with him. So my question is this: Can I add a Betta to the tank with the algae eater? It would just be the two of them. I think the male Bettas are so pretty and I would rescue one from the life of a 6 inch bowl, but I want to make sure they would be compatible before adding the Betta.
Kathy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #2 
GalaxyGirl

What type of Algae Eater? A chinese? A betta in a 5 gallon tank would be great, but I am not sure about the Algae Eater, my friends ate all her little tetras up.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #3 
Kathy60

unfortunately, yes a chinese algae eater.
I went ahead and put the betta in there too. So far everything is fine.
I really hope they get along.
Actually the dog is the biggest problem. He bites at the tank to make the fish jump. Poor little fish!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #4 
Reun

The myth that fish stay the size of their tank is only part true.

take the algae eater back to the fish store or give it to someone with a 300 gallon or larger tank. these fish grow to over 11 inches and are highly territorial as they get older. it is cruel and inhumane to keep him in a 5 gallon.

I understand you like the fish, but do the right thing and give it away
As far as your 5 gallon goes, keep the beta in there, he will be happy. you can even add a few decorative snails in with him to keep him company, they clean the tank and look nice too!

Next, move the tank out of reach of the dog...period...stress like that will kill any fish. Fish, can, and will die from stress. The stress can be from being moved constantly from tank to tank, pets attacking them, other fish in the tank attacking them, poor water quality, ect.

Now that the tank is away from the dog and the chinese algae eater is gone, make sure you at the bare minimum remove 2 gallons of water once every two weeks and replace it with fresh water. thats the bare minimum, reccommended is a 30% water change once a week in smaller tanks.

(editted for content for sensitive and younger members- fish_4_all)
Reun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #5 
Kathy60

don't get me wrong, I would gladly give the algae eater away....but my lfs won't take him. I simply don't know what to do with him...and there is no way I can chop his head off! someone else would have to do that for me if it comes down to that.

I do water changes in the 5 gal tank just like I do my 55 gal tank. I haven't moved the algae eater into the larger tank because I have read that they get territorial and didn't want him to hurt or kill the other fish in there.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #6 
Reun

is this a chain pet store? because most private pet stores will take them back, even if they dont give you a credit for it, they will take a healthy fish they can turn around and sell for $$$. Try a differant pet store, call them and tell them your problem.

I am suggesting you get rid of the fish before you come even more attached to it. and yes, not only is your 55g too small for it, when it gets bigger you may have problems with it killing inhabitants.

You really need to get rid of the algae eater though :( try a few pet stores and see what you come up with...

(editted for content for sensitve and younger members - fish_4_all)
Old 04-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #7 
Kathy60

yes, it is a chain store. I will try calling around to the few others we have here in town. Thanks for the help. :)
I would never have bought him if I had known how large or aggresive he could get. When I went to purchase an algae eater this is what they suggested at Petsmart. Since then I have read up on the subject and prefer to buy my fish at other places.

I admit I was pretty naive when I first got into the fish hobby. It started because my grandson brought home a fish he won at his daycare 3 years ago. I've learned and expanded quite a bit since then. Unfortunately I killed way too many fish through my ignorance.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #8 
Falina

there is a sticky on humane ways to euthanise a fish. one involves clove oil and doesnt involve anything "brutal" like beheading. i say "brutal" because its not actually cruel as its a very quick way for the fish (as long as youre fast and do it right first time) but it seems violent and would be upsetting to do

however, id find a fish store, rather than a petworld or whatever and im almost certain theyll take it back as id never be able to kill a fish. im far too soft, like you i suppose
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #9 
Kathy60

I had read that sticky on humane ways to euthanize a fish, but I just don't see myself doing that either so I shall try to locate a fish store that will take him off my hands.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #10 
Reun

Yeah, i had heard of clove oil, we dont carry it around here, nor have i had personal experience with it. and yes, while beheading is easy on the fish, it is hard on the owner. the few fish i have had to euthanize were very difficult to do, and it has given me nightmares for a good week afterwards.

but yes, pet store! call some of them, i am sure one of them will help you out!

P.S. the 5 gallon will be perfect for that beta! add a couple decorative snails in there to keep algae down and look pretty, and you are set!