Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: would you like a 2 or more male bettas that wont fight?
YES, that sounds awesome 36 64.29%
NO WAY, keep them the way they are 20 35.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #11 
frogipoi

Well said! I ag*ee (so**y my r isn't wo*king.)
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #12 
Kokonoko

This is actually entirely possible, and I would think that it wouldn't take but a few years if done properly and through a scientific approach.

I forgot the name of the scientist who first showed a live example of this through the use of wild wolf/foxes in alaska. The species was incredibly aggressive and responded with nothing less then that. Through 8 years of selective breeding though, he was able to domesticate the canine with incredibly small effort.

Other then the basics though I don't remember much else of the research... and if this could apply to fish. I believe it would be amazing to see, whats MORE amazing in my mind is I thought I bringing this topic up 2 days ago! Lol but I thought I was to new to the forums to be budging up such topics, heh...
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

No no no.

Being aggressive is the entire reason we have the bettas we have today. It would be a disservice to the fish to try to take away what makes them special.

I've said it a thousand times.. if you want to keep colorful long finned fish together in a group GET GUPPIES.

Being aggressive is what makes bettas special. Its their tenacity that made us all fall in love with them. Taking that away just for personal gain would be wrong IMO.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #14 
frogipoi

I agree. If you want them to stop fighting, you really need guppies.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #15 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogipoi View Post
I agree. If you want them to stop fighting, you really need guppies.
i see and also i already have guppies they are beautiful but not as unique as bettas. i guess that their true nature IS and SHOULD always be the aggressiveness that they have and thats what makes them entirely different than other fish. i think they should stay the way they are.

the reason i was thinking about this was because i was reading an article about them before they were aggressive. and i found the most interesting thing in the world IMO, it said that in Thailand-where bettas originated-bettas actually lived together in peace before the people from thialand started trying to fight them for profit and it took almost 86 years just to get a betta to nip at another. after that, their nature was changed and now that chain was broken and made the aggressive betta fry be born.

but it was just a thought:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

The bettas we have now are nothing like the bettas that can be housed together. Google wild type bettas and you'll see they are no where near as colorful as the domesticated splendens. Most people who want a mild betta go for wild types.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #17 
bettalover2033

now i see and think tht they should be kept the way they are:) because this is one of tthe personality traits that we all love and would do a lot to keep:) its what makes them different and ive always thought that different is good and should be accepted:) !!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #18 
SilverCaracal

Bettas wouldn't be bettas if they weren't aggressive IMO...
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #19 
XSprinkleFaceX

As much as I would love that I dont think it can happen. Its a bettas natural instinct to attack another betta, i dont think its a breeding trait that you can remove with selective breeding like a tail or a colour pattern.

But than again im not a scientist...what do I know. Now-a-days anything is possible.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #20 
Kokonoko

*Shrugs* I love my betta fish riddle, its not so much because of the aggression(of course that always adds to the personality of the fish itself). Betta fish, to myself, have always resembled strength, but I couldn't imagine that persona being ruined by a lack of aggression. Who knows! lol

Although, it a dream world, it would also be awesome to have betta fish that could fly too... Think that might be possible to selectively breed for? O.o;
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote