Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: would you like a 2 or more male bettas that wont fight?
YES, that sounds awesome 36 64.29%
NO WAY, keep them the way they are 20 35.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

This level of aggression was selectively bred in, therefore it can be bred out. But at what cost? Whether its ethical or not is debatable. IMO if you want a betta that can be housed together go for a wild type.

There are so many types of beautiful fish that can coexist happily together. I just don't understand why someone would want to take a species that is aggressive and try to go against its nature instead of simply choosing a different fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #22 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCaracal View Post
Bettas wouldn't be bettas if they weren't aggressive IMO...
you got it right on the dot!!:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #23 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
This level of aggression was selectively bred in, therefore it can be bred out. But at what cost? Whether its ethical or not is debatable. IMO if you want a betta that can be housed together go for a wild type.

There are so many types of beautiful fish that can coexist happily together. I just don't understand why someone would want to take a species that is aggressive and try to go against its nature instead of simply choosing a different fish.
no no no you got me wrong this was just a thought i dont actually want to change its nature i wanted to know if it was possible.

and im pretty sure it is possible and again it was just a thought. i know that there are a lot of types of beautiful fish that can coexist happily together, its just they are so interesting i would not be able to just forget about them and choose another fish, i want to learn as much and more than i possibly can and maybe from months or even years of experience i could find out more than some has ever done before. this is the reason i chose fish for my pet than a normal child would do. a normal child would want something bigger and as a child they would want something that they can play with, so they would choose a puppy or a kitten. i for 1 think that fish are much more smarter and more complex than any other species of animal there is.

just think fish have been around since before the dinosaurs and might even pass their existence far far more millenniums than our generation of existence. fish are so much more unique than any animal in the world. and thats a FACT. they have much more to them than living in a tank of water and swimming around. they are capable of so much and they are put down by ignorance and sometimes cruelty as other animals have been through. just because we are bigger than them doesnt mean that we have to be cruel to a species of fish that are aggressive and dangerous. just because we can destroy them doesnt me we HAVE TO! for ex. sharks, sharks are very aggressive as all of you know and could kill someone in the blink of an eye. have you noticed that THESE MEAN "KILLING MACHINES" NEVER DO ANYTHING TO HARM US ***FIRST***?

THE KEYWORD IS FIRST. we always have to interrupt them and their environment before they attack. people dont understand that we are the INTRUDERS they wont even dare come on land and intrude. we are the daredevils that go into the water -which is where they live- and do whatever the heck we want. and if they try to protect what they have most of them get killed because we WANT to do something.

dont get me wrong here im so glad that we have all the info that we have im just saying SPARE THE LOSSES OF THE SHARKS AND OTHER SEA LIFE ANIMALS BECAUSE THEY ALL HAVE FAMILY AND THEY ALL HAVE A HEART AND BRAIN LIKE US.

there i think ive made my point:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #24 
Amour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonoko View Post
This is actually entirely possible, and I would think that it wouldn't take but a few years if done properly and through a scientific approach.

I forgot the name of the scientist who first showed a live example of this through the use of wild wolf/foxes in alaska. The species was incredibly aggressive and responded with nothing less then that. Through 8 years of selective breeding though, he was able to domesticate the canine with incredibly small effort.

Other then the basics though I don't remember much else of the research... and if this could apply to fish. I believe it would be amazing to see, whats MORE amazing in my mind is I thought I bringing this topic up 2 days ago! Lol but I thought I was to new to the forums to be budging up such topics, heh...
Actually, those poor foxes aren't very domesticated at all. I did research because I wanted to get one and found out that they're still very wild and keep most of their natural instincts. Many people have problems with them escaping because they're so wild. It's actually really cruel to keep those poor foxes as pets.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #25 
Kokonoko

Erm, well... I still say that we should breed them to fly...I mean... I'm just saying... ;P lol
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #26 
frogipoi

Boys in the wild still fight but don't kill each other if the have enough room
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #27 
LoveSGSE

Its possible. But I really like them the way they are now. Its what makes them special. They have "attitude".
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #28 
frogipoi

Can I change my vote XD Attitude is awesome
Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #29 
Aven

I think people are misunderstanding this topic. We're not going to change the ENTIRE species, and not trying to go against their nature. By selective breesing, you can start a NEW species, youre right, they wont be Betta Splendens. Theyll be Betta Domesticus.
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #30 
frogipoi

t will take years to do it and it would be awesome but bettas are quite awesome the way they are. I want to vote for a new place, start a new species. Sounds better.