Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #1 
klarka331

Unhappy I think my little guy is dying.

2.71 has been sick for several months. I honestly don't know what is wrong with him. First he got this weird white circle on the side and lost some of his over all color, so I thought he has ich or something. Then he started breathing very hard, and his gills don't look the same on both sides (hard to describe) Then all his fins started falling off, and he started getting very much less active. Then he started lying on his side at the top of the tank and hardly ever moving. He stayed like that for about a month. I can only get him to eat about one pellet of food every three or more days.

This last week he's been getting worse. His scales started sticking up. I found him completely vertical with his head down. Then he started lying in a u shape at the top of the tank. Tonight I found him and most of his body had turned almost like a white, and whats left of his fins is almost translucent. Now he is sitting on the bottom of his tank, which he hasn't done for months. He looks like he is going to pass any hour.

I've tried giving him medicine earlier on and I am crazy over keeping his water clean. There is just so much conflicting advice on what to do to treat Bettas I have no idea what to do. I don't even know what's wrong with him! It's just so frusterating because I am really attached to this little guy

Is there anything else I can do for him at this point? I would do anything to help him.

His water is at 79 degrees. His in a 6 gallon filtered tank. I add water conditioner and a tablespoon of aquarium salt.

Last edited by klarka331; 08-02-2010 at 02:55 AM.
klarka331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #2 
Adastra

Poor guy--he has been through a lot. Unfortunately the scale issue you are describing is something called dropsy--it's not a disease in itself, but it is the result of the fish's organs shutting down. Since this fish has been sick for so long with something that sounds bacterial, I think you should consider putting him to sleep. This can be done humanely with clove oil, also called eugenol--this chemical has an anesthetic effect and is used for treating tooth pain. You can get it at a pharmacy or GNC--put the fish in a small container with a few drops of clove oil. Wait about ten minutes, and the fish should be sedated. Then add more clove oil until the fish dies. There are instructions elsewhere on how much to use depending on the concentration of clove oil that you buy.

Another simpler but more disturbing way to euthanize your fish is to wet a paper towel with tank water and fold him in it--then take a large blunt object, such as a brick, and crush him with one blow. This sounds very brutal, but it is a quick merciful death.

Alternatively, you can simply do your best to make him comfortable during his final moments by putting him in a shallow container--I use rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bins--or lowering the water level in his tank. I would change the water to remove all of the aquarium salt since it places more strain on the fish's organs and will make the dropsy worse. Make sure the heater is still submerged. I usually add an airstone too, but if you do, you should lower the airflow using a gang valve or tie knots in the tubing until only a few bubbles can escape at a time. Since dropsy has already set in, he probably won't linger much longer given what you have described.

Euthanasia is a very personal choice--if the situation is as I understand it, I would probably euthanize the fish. However, since I am not there and don't know the intricacies of his condition, you should use your judgment.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-02-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #3 
klarka331

Thanks for your advice... I found 2.71 dead when i got home tonight. I really loved that fish.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #4 
Dead Sunlight

R.i.p- 2.71 :(
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #5 
SilverCaracal

I'm sorry for your loss!! :( Not totally sure, but long term use of aquarium salt can lead to dropsy...

R.I.P. 2.71
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #6 
naturegirl243

Aww I am sorry for your loss.I had something kind of happen like this I had a CT named Pirate and I don't think he had dropsy cause his scales were normal but he was a deep red and eventually turned brown at the time I did not know alot about bettas sicknesses this was about 6 months ago.All he did was sit at the bottom of the tank and he never moved.One day I found the poor guy dead :( I really loved the guy he used to have tons of personallity until he got sick.Plus my water is pretty hard here so that did not help him, But I was sad yet relived when Pirate died his last months he had no quality of life.He was a rescue with bad fin rot when I got him so I gave him a good life for awhile.Again sorry for your loss.

R.I.P 2.71
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #7 
klarka331

Yeah I ended up killing him by trying to make it better. Go to one place and it swears this, that, and the other are wonderful then the next places swears one drop will kill the fish instantly. I tried to make the decision I thought was right, obviously I was wrong. I'm not going to have fish anymore so it doesn't really matter.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #8 
Jessiefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarka331 View Post
Yeah I ended up killing him by trying to make it better. Go to one place and it swears this, that, and the other are wonderful then the next places swears one drop will kill the fish instantly. I tried to make the decision I thought was right, obviously I was wrong. I'm not going to have fish anymore so it doesn't really matter.
Hey, don't be so hard on yourself -- we learn through experience, after all. I'm sorry about 2.71. I had a similar experience with my first Betta, Abe.
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #9 
Aven

I agree, we all make mistakes, and I bet whatever time he had with you was better than his time sitting in a small cup at a Petco.
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about 2.71. I think you did everything you could for him. It sounds like he had a good home and was loved very much.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote