Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #1 
Owlets

Roy still clamping?

Hey all, I made a thread a while back about Roy clamping his fins.
I've upped his temperature, opted to feed him a little more (just in case i was underfeeding) added some more hiding spots and most of the clamping has gone away, except the tips of his fins are still clamped. Any idea on what I should do now? I haven't been as perfect with my water changes lately as I've been sick non stop, so I'll be sure to get back on to them, but i'd like him to be back to his regular pretty self!
He's in a 3.5 gallon tank, no filter but i clean it out once a week and get a water change or two in there in the middle of the week.
Thanks all :)
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #2 
newlynothere

I'm not sure if this could be the issue... but I had the same thing happen to my betta a few days ago. I had just gotten back from vacation and he looked pale with clamped fins. I changed his water completely and then warmed his tank up to about 82 degrees and he perked right up. He unclamped his fins and began swimming around like normal.. I'm kind of new to betta keeping but I'm just trying to help based on what happened to my fish... I could be wrong.. but you could try to completely change the water and clean the tank and then warm it a little more? One of the more experienced people could probably help you more than me.
newlynothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #3 
Owlets

Unfortunately thats the first thing i thought to do, and it didn't do too much! Though thanks for the input :)
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

In the first stages of fin rot a bettas will start clamping there fin's. Do a water change and keep up with your weekly changes add aquarium salt and raise the temp a little if you want but 78 is a good place for fish.
If all that dont work and he act's like he is trying to rub his self against the glass and whatever is in his tank, I would treat him for parasites along with the aquarium salt..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #5 
Owlets

Hmm, he's been acting completely normal this whole time, so I'm not quite sure its any illnesses just yet. I was putting aquarium salt in his tank with every change and it had no effect, but I'll keep at eye on it just in case it turns into something nasty :)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #6 
puddin

One of my bettas came from the pet store with rolled fins at the end, it went away with a lot of water changes, it just took some time and regular maintenance
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote