Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #1 
dans50s

companions

i am new to this. I have a beautiful male beta. I had bought a female and keep her in a different tank, but she passed after a few weeks. I was wondering what type of fish i can add to his tank without any problems
dans50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #2 
Welsh

Welcome to the forum

We need a few more details for us to be able to help you, like....

What size tank do you keep your male in? Is it heated and filtered?

Sorry to hear about your female
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #3 
dans50s

he is in a 2 gallon plastic tank with a filter/ no heater. He seems to be doing fine,but i think he might be a bit more happy with a friend
Old 08-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #4 
Kittles

You should definitely throw a heater in there. Even if your atmospheric temperature is appropriate, it's probably not stable. Unstable temperatures lower your betta's immune system and cause quite a bit of stress. I think there's a Tetra heater at Walmart that is made for small tanks that a lot of members here use without problems which keeps your temperature at ~78F. And stable.

As for the tank mates, I think two gallons is too small for anything else to be added. Maybe a shrimp? I think most people suggest a minimum of five gallons for ADFs because they like to be in pairs, but I could be wrong. The last thing I can think of is a snanil, if that's something that interests you.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #5 
Welsh

ADF's have a high bioload I hear but don't take my word for it as i'm not familiar with these, also bettas have been known to tear limbs off ADF's which sounds pretty nasty lol. I agree with Kittles about the heater and also that your tank isn't big enough for anything other than shrimp or a snail and snails also have a high bioload, however I have kept snails in a 2.5 with a betta and had no problems, just make sure you keep up with regular water changes
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #6 
dans50s

it sounds to me like bettas are not a very friendly type fish. i sure wish there was something that i could add to his tank. i sure he is board all alone in the tank by himself. I remember when i bought the female and put her tank next to his,talk about growing twice the size in a mater of seconds. he was so beautiful. Wish i could see him like that again.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #7 
kuklachica

Put a mirror next to his tank and he will start flaring at his reflection. Nothing should be put in with him in a 2 gallon. Even though a shrimp may be able to fit in there bio-load wise, it does not give the shrimp enough space to hide and get away if the betta decides to stalk him.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #8 
puddin

Shrimp need hiding places for when they shed their skin and are waiting for their new one to harden. Sorry to say in a 2 gallon there is not a lot of options.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #9 
dans50s

what would be the best size for him? I would like to have at least 2 fish. I thought that you could put a male and a female together
Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #10 
doggyhog

A 10g tank would give you plenty of options as far as tank mates go. You could do some Cory cats, or some Harlequin rasboras.

There is always the chance that your betta will not get along with the other fish... So keep that in mind and have a back up plan should this happen.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote