Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #1 
lyra

Oh no, am I roasting my betta?

I have this heater in my fish's baby biorb tank:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BZN1CC/

It's really a THEO hydor heater with a special stand for the tank. It says 50 W on it.

It's been set to 79, and the water temp has been about 82 for the last week. I just got home, and noticed the thermometer said 85ish. I put in another one- this one digital- which came up with 86. Yikes! I didn't touch the heater control, it's still on 79. The light on the biorb has been off all day... what's happening?

Is fishie OK? He seems fine, he's swimming around like normal. I last looked at the temperature last night and didn't notice anything weird.

So I just pulled the heater out of the tank, and I'm thinking about what to do. Set it to the lowest setting and put it back in, then buy a new heater if I see it spiking again?
lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

If your fish seems fine, I wouldn't worry. I have the same heater in both my 2.5gals.
Put the heater back in the tank and start adjusting slowly to the desired temp. Mine is set to 77 and it gives me a constant reading of 80-82 degrees.
My tanks sometimes skiped up like that until I found the ideal setting.
For now, take the lid off your tank and put a fan close to it. It'll help bring the temp down slowly.
Also, what's the room temp of water in your house? I would make that test. Maybe with the warm temps we're having, the water is just very warm during the day.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #3 
Ajones108

In my 2.5 gal I have the 25w hydor theos heater and I never have a problem with heat spike.

Last edited by Ajones108; 08-02-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #4 
Kittles

No worries. 85F is about the hottest water temperature your betta can comfortably withstand. In fact, some people raise their water temperatures to that degree when their betta is sick to aid recuperation, quicken parasitic life-cycles, etc. I wouldn't go any hotter, though.

Your room temperature may be effecting the temperature of your tank water. As well, it might have been exposed to some sunlight throughout the day. As mentioned, try decreasing the temperature on the heater directly, and slowly increase it until you're satisfied with whatever the thermometer reads. If dramatic spikes continue, you may need to return said heater. How long ago did you buy it, and is it under warranty?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #5 
lyra

thank you for the advice!

i needed to do a partial water change, so I did that, which brought the temperature down 3 degrees. I realized when I was done that it might have been a bit drastic of a change- ooops.

The heater is back in, on low, and I've left the shades down in the room that the tank is in. The water is sitting at 82.8 for now, with the heater on the lowest setting. I do think that maybe the ambient temperature and sun was to blame- the tank isn't in direct light, but the room faces south and west so it does get some afternoon sun.
lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #6 
Kokonoko

Erm... any suggestions if your tank is temping around 85 during the daytime WITHOUT a heater? <.< The air conditioner in my house is shotty... and thats about the average temp inside... Any way to combat this without harming the betta? I wasn't sure if you could freeze a bottle of conditioned water and place it in his tank... and even then...
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #7 
Kittles

Placing a fan over the tank seems to help cool the water a bit. Or, you can go a bit further and aim to cool the room itself, in turn cooling the tank placed somewhere within it. A standing fan or two would help, or some other source of air flow. I wouldn't advice placing ice in the tank, quarantined or not. The cooling would be too uneven and the drop in temperature too drastic, especially nearest the ice.

I can't think of anything else reasonable to suggest. I mean, 85F is pushing it, but it's not lethal, so don't do anything irrational. :>
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #8 
Kokonoko

k, thank you! *Salute*
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote