Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #1 
catasyne

a thank you story

yesterday I went to petco and noticed a beta fish so pretty that I decided to buy him. I just became a preschool teacher so I gave myself the excuse that I can bring him into class one day and teach the kids about fish. I bought one of the standard 1/2 gallon tanks that they always sell next to the betas at petco, a couple tablespoons of gravel and a tiny statue of buddha and I brought him home. I knew nothing about betas except that they live in tiny tanks and that they're really beautiful fish. When I got home I felt guilty watching the little guy try to swim around the tiny tank, but I thought thats just how you keep a beta. I was so excited about my new fish that I stayed up late into the night googling beta fish and looking up different websites about them. That's how I found this site, and confirmed what my gut told me when I first brought him home, that he would be much happier in a roomier tank. Today I went back to petco and returned the 1/2 gallon tank and came home with a 2 1/2 gallon tank, complete with gravel, plants, a cave, heater, light and filter. When I told the cashier that it was for a beta he laughed. I guess they're used to people only ever putting their betas in the tiny bowls. Anyway, me and my new little buddy thank you all for this great site and all the information in the forums! I've already learned so much about how to keep the little guy happy :)
Attached Images

catasyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Nice butterfly!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #3 
frogipoi

He is gorgeous. Can I take him? J/K lol glad for you! He is a wonderful butterfly betta.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your betta is beautiful!! The tank looks great and I'm sure he loves his new home.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #5 
Adastra

He's beautiful. :) It is very sad how pet stores market bettas as disposable things that don't deserve proper treatment--it's good to hear when someone comes to the realization that logic should prevail over marketing strategies. Have you gotten your boy a heater yet, or is it hiding in your tank already? If you haven't, you should look into one like this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL betta!!!

Nice tank - I LOVE the "pitcher" thingy. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

WOW! I don't think I've seen a Red halfmoon butterfly before! =]

He's GORGEOUS!!!! I LOVE your tank too! That vase hideout makes it look MUCH bigger than 2 1/2 gallons! =] It's so pretty with his coloring too! =]

Good luck with him and if you ever need help just start a thread. If the repliers don't know the answers, chances are they can refer you to someone who will! =]

So what's his name=]

Also: COOL! You're a teacher! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #8 
Amour

Very pretty little guy! I also have that jar in my tank as well as the brown one in another. I love those things.

I should also mention that plastic plants will most likely tear Mister Betta's very beautiful fins. So I would take them out and get silk or live ones before that happens.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:57 PM   #9 
kuklachica

Welcome!! That is a wonderful story! I'm glad the information here was able to help you and make your guy happy & healthy!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #10 
vilmarisv

THANK YOU for giving a lovely betta a proper home!
He's a lucky guy!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote