Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #1 
naturegirl243

Exclamation Freaking out about his Gills

Ok so I walked into my room and Carlisle has this white cloudyish stuff over his gills but they are also really red.I don't know how to describe it.He also has white under his chin, and he has had some little spots on him for awhile now.I don't know what to do for the poor guy.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic?
The spots what do they look like
What is his behavior like, has it changed, breathing hard, flashing, lethargic, poor appetite etc.....
How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, when was the last one, water temp, additives used, filtration, live plants, how long have you had him and the set-up, any medications or treatment used lately?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #3 
naturegirl243

I can try to take a picture, he is his usual self still so his behavior has not changed.the tank is a 5.5 gallon with an water filter and another new heater since the last one I got did not work.Right now his water temp is around 74 he just got the tank a couple days ago so no water changes yet but he had the spots before he switched tanks.no live plants just a silk one and two plastic ones which he does not go near.For the spots I have started using bettafix but I don't think it applies to what he has.I will go try and get a good picture of the spots.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #4 
naturegirl243

Ok so he does not like the little light my camera shines before it takes a picture with a flash so it was hard to get a perfect picture but here is th ebest one I got.Oh and sorry if it's really big I don't know how to make them smaller on here.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In a new set-up 5.5g filter tank during the cycle- needs every other day to every two days 50% water change to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels safe unless you have testing products to test the water to keep those level below 0.25ppm

If his gill are getting redder by the day it is most likely ammonia related and the tank is in need of a water change to get it under control before long term damage or death occurs.

Can you describe the "spot"
Old 08-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Looks like ich,
I would start by slowly getting the water temp up in the 80-83F range and start making 50-80% daily water changes with deep substrate vacuuming to manually remove the parasite from the tank as they fall off the Betta.
You can't kill the parasite while it is on the Betta
You can also use aquarium salt 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal
I would treat for 3 days past the last day you could see the Ich on the fish.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #7 
naturegirl243

I have testing stuff and I tested everything yesterday and it was fine I did an ammonia test twice to be on the safe side and it was fine.The water is really hard here do you think that could be an issue?The spot well as you see he has two big ones on on his body which is different then all the other ones and one on his bottom fin which is just a larger virsion of all the smaller ones which are harder to see.The one under his chin I am not sure it might be his coloring but it is white and long more of a blob then a spot I am starting to think I just never noticed the spot under his chin an now I think something is wrong.I am more worried about his gills yesterday his gills were fine and earlier todday but when he is chilling out they look ok but now he is moving around and they are just like the picture.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #8 
naturegirl243

ok he has marbles not gravel should I be able to see anything in the marbels or should I switch him to gravel. Does ich affect his gills?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

It must be the pic because I see lots of white spots all over him...lol....so I trust more of what you say since the fish is in front of you, google Ich and look at some pic and see if it looks the same, regardless water changes are needed and the water temp needs to increase a bit at least in the 76-78F range

What are the numbers on the ammonia reading? and what kind of testing product are you using? If you have all the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH too-post them as well

Fish usually will adapt to water hardness of the source water and be just fine, I would not try and change the pH with chemicals.

Do you use a dechlorinator or are you on well water?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #10 
naturegirl243

No he really has all those spots on him they look white in the picture but they are more of a blueish white.I am using water conditioner but it is for freashwater fish not just bettas it's Nutrafin aqua plus.Our water lately has smelled really strongly of chlorine latly and when I added this stuff it deffinatly helped.As for the Ph and other stuff I have testing strips that tests everything I did one of those and accroding to the color chart there are no nitrite or nitrates and the ph I think is a 7.2. I found this picture of a betta with ich and it looks like what he has only he has more spots then this fish.Sorry the link is so long http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1259&bih=628

*edit* haha just relized it shortened the link for me