Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #1 
WXchick7

New to Bettas -- fish in general

Hey all,

I am new to fish in general. I have one male betta. He's currently in a 0.5 gallon tank that is unheated. I'm looking to upgrade to a 2.5gal tank and to purchase a heater (without spending a fortune). Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
WXchick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Welcome to the fish forum!! That's great that you're going to upgrade. If you're near a Walmart, they have 5G tanks for $30. Some 2.5G's can cost about the same price. I would figure out what pet stores are near you, go on their website if they have one and just start pricing tanks to look for the best deal. Petsmart is having a 25% off discount on all tanks so you should look into that if you have a Petsmart near you. I know Florida's pretty hot, but bettas need to be in temperatures of 76-80*F and fluctuations in temperature aren't good for them. So if you have him in a room that fluctuates in temperature, I would get him a heater. I have the tetra 2-15G heater that I bought at Walmart and I love it. It's about $12 I think. It shuts itself off when it gets to 78*F so it doesn't cook your fish, but you should always have a thermometer in there or on the tank to make sure that the heater is working properly.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #4 
Adastra

The best way to save money is to shop online. Pet stores have a lot of overhead, think about it, they have to pay employees, have to furnish the store with displays, have to pay utilities on all their facilities and take care of animals.. they have to do this and still make a profit, so they jack up the price on each item. There's also the unfortunate side effect that when you shop there you're supporting an evil enterprise that profits from the misery of the animals housed at their facilities.

I do all my shopping here: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com all of the items are marked down $10-20 lower than pet stores and everything ships very a very reasonable flat rate of $9 no matter how heavy or how much you order. I suggest the 25watt hydor theo heater or similar--it is adjustable and much higher quality than a pre-set or a heater pad. You will also want to get a liquid master test kit and perhaps some additional decor items--it's best to put as much as you can of the things you need on one order. F&S also sells some very reasonable small tanks, such as the Marineland Eclipse line. They are well designed and of decent quality.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-02-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

OR there is this 5 gal. tank available at Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

$25.00 and FREE shipping!!!

Good luck and welcome!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #6 
brandynva

I have the 5 gallon from Walmart for my betta and he loves it. I put the Tetra heater in. It keeps it about 76-78 range, but it is a good tank and worth the money. I wouldn't use the power filter that comes with it, though. Too much current for the little guys.
brandynva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #7 
WXchick7

Thank you for your help everyone!

I am looking at this tank (the 2.5gal), from Petsmart, though I do like that 5gal from Walmart!
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde..._fc1d#prodTab1

The guy I talked to at the Pet Supermarket today said that for any tanks less than 5gal you don't really need a heater. But the apartment I live in (when I go back to college next week) is rather cold, and I worry that it will be too cold for him. What do yall think? So far I like the Hydor heater, also from Petsmart.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...687&lmdn=Brand

Is it really worth it to get a vacuum? Any particular recommended cleaning methods? Or know anything about the Betta Floating Log? (I think it sounds cute)

Sorry to bombard yall with questions!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #8 
kuklachica

Um, that guy doesn't know what he is talking about! Bettas are tropical fish and need heaters, no matter the size of their tanks. The fluctuation of temps during the day vs. night will eventually lower the fish's immune system. They regulate their body temp and metabolism based on the water temp around.

I wouldn't recommend that heater. It only keeps the water 8* warmer than room temp. So it will still fluctuate and if your room is cold, the water will still be cold. You'd be better off with the same priced one from walmart that keeps the tank at 76*. Much healthier for the betta. But adjustable ones are the best ones. Check www.lnt.com - they have low prices and cheap shipping.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #9 
WXchick7

Yeah, after reading a lot on here, I didn't think that he was correct about the heaters...

So would this heater be ok?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Subm...#ProductDetail
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #10 
brandynva

I have that heater in my 5 gallon and my 1.5 gallon and it keeps the water temp between 76-78. Not as warm as I'd like but until I can afford and adjustable one it works. At least it will keep the temps steady which is important. It really depends on your fish too. My one fish likes it just fine at 76, but my other seems happier at 80. Fickle things. Good luck! You should check amazon.com.
brandynva is offline   Reply With Quote