Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #1 
Cutar

Soooo Im a noob (pictures)

Alright so today I picked up a betta fish. He is a red and here are some pictures

I just got this tank today and didn't have enough money on me at the time to buy much else but I am going to the pet store tomorrow. What do I NEED. All I have right now is food for him. He is in bottled water. I do have a spare 10 gallon tank but Im not sure that it will work for the amount of space that I have
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #2 
puddin

What a pretty boy! I agree with you that he needs a bigger area to swim in and explore. Way back I used to keep a betta in a bowl like that and when I moved him to a bigger tank the transformation in him was amazing. I didn't know how active a betta is and curious too! Best of luck on the upgrades.

Oh, and I think someone will help clarify but treated tap water with water conditioner is better than bottled water.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #3 
MoePaac

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

Reading the link above would be a good place to start and answer a lot of your questions.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #4 
Kokonoko

Agreed with Moe, reading that link is the best way to start off into the betta world. Beside that link though, the basics (without going into details of why) are:

-Food, Tetra BettaMin is sufficient. A betta generally though desires a varity of food, but does not -need- it to my knowledge. Other food items: Freeze dried shrimp or blood worms, live blood worms, pellets, etc.

-Water conditioner. Our water contains chemicals like chorline and such, a water conditioner takes these chemicals out making it safe for your betta. I have a stress coat that provides the same effects as a water conditioner.

-Water changes. This is something I'm still new at as well, so I wouldn't know of what % you need to change, but you do NEED water changes. Otherwise harmful chemicals build int he water that can harm or kill your betta.

I'm still new as well, so until more experience responses appear I hope I helped a little! Good luck to you and your new betta! *Salute* =)
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #5 
Alexanderismylife

Welcome to the forum! As for things you will need...
-2 gallon tank so you can properly heat it.
-Heater
-Water conditioner&Water treatment
-You will have to do water changes if your 2 gallon doesn't have a filter. I'm not sure how often but I'm sure someone will be able to anwser that!
-Betta do prefer a variety of food so I would get pellets and bloodworms.

I may have not gotten everything you need but I'm sure someone will be able to add on if I didn't =]
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #6 
Cutar

I have well water If I fill a 10 gallon up with the water will it die from the chlorine?
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #7 
Ajones108

It'll die from the heavy metals still in the water, not just the chlorine. Always use water conditioner. There's like a $3 bottle of Top Fin stuff at the pet store.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #8 
peaches3221

if you aren't sure about the quality of your tap water, bottled water is safest :-]
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote