Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #1 
Tidbitts

Am I Paranoid or is there a Problem?

Okay, so I am a new Betta owner, and just by browsing the forums, I've already found that I've made three mistakes:

One, he's in a 0.5 gallon tank, two, there is no filter in said tank, and three, he has no heater.

His purchase was spur of the moment, and we were going by what the pet shop said was adequate for him.

Anyways, I did a complete water change for him on Saturday (with gravel cleaning) after giving him 1/4 a tsp. of Bettafix for a week (The bottle recommends a 1/2 tsp. for every gallon of water in the tank, and then to make a water change after a week. It never said how much of a water change). I gave him the Bettafix as a "just in case" precaution if he had anything from the pet shop (it was a bit run down).

So after the water change and placing the two fake plants back in the tank, he went into some sort of fishy fetal position and kept all his fins clamped together. I figured he was just freaked out by the whole ordeal and he returned to normal not long after.

This is what I'm worried about though.

He's taken up a habit of parking himself in some part of the tank (top, bottom, in a plant, in the center etc) and remaining there for an indefinite amount of time, only occasionally going to another part of the tank to do the same thing.

From what I've read here, I wanna say his water is just cold, but my room in which he stays is usually above 80 degrees. Right now it's 83 and even with the fan on it's really warm in here.

His eating habits haven't changed; I give him three Bettabites pellets twice a day which he pounces on (and visibly 'chews') as soon as he sees them.

I'm a bit worried also, because a few days before I changed his water, the bubble nest he had built started to shrink. I'm not sure if he just gave up, or if there is another issue at hand.

Appearance wise, he looks the same as usual, with the Bettafix (mostly) restoring a ragged pectoral fin. He has a few dark spots on him that he's had since I got him, but I think that's just part of his coloring. He's classified as a Crowntail "Electric Blue" Betta.

I've got a few pictures of him as well, but my camera and lighting qualities are terrible.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

...Lashings?

And he doesn't have a definitive name other than "fishy", "cutie", "sweetheart" etc.
Attached Images

Tidbitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #2 
tncanchaser

Ohhh somone please answer! I couls have written this exact same thing!! I'm new and would love to hear what you older and wiser betta owners say!!
tncanchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #3 
Tidbitts

Uhm, anyone?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #4 
MoePaac

Ideally, he'd be in a tank of at least 2 to 2.5 gallons. Bigger always better though. Since your tank is not cycled, and so small you should really be doing 100% water changes every other day, if not every. At minimum 50% water change one day, and 100% the next day. This is because ammonia builds up in a tank that is not cycled (a cycled tank has beneficial bacteria to break down ammonia).

I would begin by increasing the water changes. Make sure you have a good water conditioner that eliminates BOTH chlorine and chloramine.

There is some controversy behind Bettafix and Melafix. Some research shows that it damages the labyrinth organ. Use at your own caution... but certainly not long-term.

As far as the fin damage, try 1tsp of aquarium salt to 1 gallon of water for 10 days, changing the water daily. An easy way to do this is to get a gallon jug (that has only held water) and premix the salt into it. If you do this, you won't have to worry about getting the proportions right for mixing only a half gallon. Also know that most plastic plants could possibly harm your betta's fins. They are a little rough for his fins if he swims up against them. Silk plants are a safer route.

Aside from that, you're aware of needing a larger tank. Filter's are helpful as long as they don't create too much current, and a heater may be necessary if it gets colder during the fall and winter months. You might also try a cave so he has a place to relax and feel secure.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #5 
creamcookie

3 pellets 2 times a day is too much! A standard amount is 3 pellets per day. So say if you still want to feed him twice a day, feed him one pellet in the morning then 2 in the evening, for instance. One gallon tank is absolute minimum, please upgrade, but keep in mind the bigger the tank the better. Buy a thermometer to see his water temp, I keep my betta's water temp at 78-80F. Water that is too cold will make your betta lethargic, since they originate from tropical waters. I would recommend a filter unless you want to do water changes very often. Hope this helps!
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #6 
creamcookie

Oh and are those plants plastic? Because they may rip your bettas fins. Silk or live plants are better.
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #7 
Learn To Fly

I think 3 pellets twice a day is fine. I have fed my bettas from 4 pellets a day to 8. Currently two of mine get 5 pellets/day and fast on Sat and Sun (they both bloat otherwise) and the other one just eats whatever flakes he gets when I feed the Platies.

He does need a bigger tank (2 or 2.5 gallons at the least is ideal) and probably silk plants. You can get cheap silk plants at a craft store and they work just fine.

His behavior is basically what my new rescue fish is doing and I think it may be caused by the stress of a "new" environment and/or the stress of the change from bad water quality to good and warmer water, a bigger tank, etc. (I'm talking about my fish's situation but it could be some of the same causes)
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #8 
SilverCaracal

That tank looks bigger than a 1/2 gallon to me...but it still needs to be
upgraded LOL! And I agree that 8 pellets is too much but it really depends
on the fish. Make sure he doesn't look bloated. Someone way more
experienced than me can help!! :)
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #9 
Tidbitts

I'm gonna try lessening his diet a bit. He looks like he has a small bloat going on.

I'm gonna drop it to two pellets twice a day and see how that turns out.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #10 
SilverCaracal

Great idea!! It's better feeding in smaller proportions and twice a day than
feeding him a lot all at once. :)
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote