Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #11 
JKfish

Make sure you soak the pellets completely before you feed them to him. Dry pellets expand in the fish's belly, which could cause bloat or constipation. Also, his stomach is the size of his eye, 2 pellets twice a day should be more than enough.

You definately want to do 100% water changes once a day. My fish was in a 1/2 gallon tank for several months, and even with daily water changes, he would develop fin rot, and then he began to tail bite. Don't expect your fish to be active in such a tiny tank. At all. My fish as a sitting lump for the few months he was in the 1/2 gallon tank. When I upgraded to a 10 gallon tank, he was suddenly acting like the energizer bunny.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #12 
kuklachica

In a 1/2 you need to do a 100% water change every day. He's basically swimming in his own toilet. The small amount of water does not give the ammonia room to spread out, so it becomes concentrated and ammonia really stresses fish out. I wouldn't use Betta Fix, especially if there is no visible problem. I concur that you should use aquarium salt if you feel the need to use anything at all. However, the best thing you can do for him right now is get him a larger tank/bowl and change his water daily until then. Eventually you will want to get a heater. I know you said his water is warm, but any fluctuations in room temp mean fluctuations in water temp. Because bettas regulate their internal temp by the water temp, even fluctuations from day temp to night temp will lower their immune systems and make them susceptible to illness. A heater will keep the water at a constant temp, and will shut off when the water is warm enough and kick on when it is needed.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote