Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #1 
mbetta

What happened to my poor betta :-(

About a week and a half ago we got our first betta fish. I did notice the water in the bag from the fish store was dirty, so I put him in a clean but small tank of filtered water as directed by the store. He was doing well, blowing bubble nests and appearing active. I started reading up on betta care and realized I needed a bigger tank. I got a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and filled it with room temperature filtered water with water conditioner, and added some "betta bulbs" which are supposed to sprout into plants. The next day I noticed our fish had tiny white spots which I assumed was ich. I got some quick cure from the fish store, as well as a small heater suitable for the size of my tank and some aquarium salt. The poor fish died this evening. I feel just terrible
My question is: the only thing I could think that stressed my fish was not floating a bag in the new tank - perhaps there was a temperature shift that stressed him. I feel awful that I could have caused my fish to die....but where did the ich come from? Is it likely that he had it when I bought him but the white spots did not appear until a little over a week later? Or could the plant bulbs (which were dried and in a package) have carried them? I think the latter is unlikely, because I think they need a fish host? I'm confused and I don't want the same thing to happen when we try again with a new betta. How long should I wait - I emptied out the tank but I am wondering if there can be any residue that will infect a new fish. thanks for your help!
mbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetta View Post
About a week and a half ago we got our first betta fish. I did notice the water in the bag from the fish store was dirty, so I put him in a clean but small tank of filtered water as directed by the store. He was doing well, blowing bubble nests and appearing active. I started reading up on betta care and realized I needed a bigger tank. I got a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and filled it with room temperature filtered water with water conditioner, and added some "betta bulbs" which are supposed to sprout into plants. The next day I noticed our fish had tiny white spots which I assumed was ich. I got some quick cure from the fish store, as well as a small heater suitable for the size of my tank and some aquarium salt. The poor fish died this evening. I feel just terrible
My question is: the only thing I could think that stressed my fish was not floating a bag in the new tank - perhaps there was a temperature shift that stressed him. I feel awful that I could have caused my fish to die....but where did the ich come from? Is it likely that he had it when I bought him but the white spots did not appear until a little over a week later? Or could the plant bulbs (which were dried and in a package) have carried them? I think the latter is unlikely, because I think they need a fish host? I'm confused and I don't want the same thing to happen when we try again with a new betta. How long should I wait - I emptied out the tank but I am wondering if there can be any residue that will infect a new fish. thanks for your help!
Well it might have been a temp swing that killed him. =[ My sister's fish died of that. =[

Also I don't think it was ich. I mean it might have been but since you said you plopped some bettabulbs in there...
I had one that was supposed to turn into a dwarf lily and all it did was mold. It RUINED my entire tank!!!!! >=[ Luckily it was the 5 gallon I was attempting to cycle and grow plants in while my betta was (and still is) in a 2 gallon jar so the betta wasn't affected. I hear mold can kill fish though so it might have been that?

Don't depend on me though because this is my first time fish keeping and there's a really good chance I'm wrong about this. =/

Also how often did you change his water? even in a 2.5 gallon, if it's uncycled it needs to have 2 100% changes twice a week with a partial 50% thrown in somewhere.

To cleam your tank: either put the hottest running water you can stand in it, scrub it down with just your hands (DON'T USE ANY KIND OF SOAP EVER TO CLEAN YOUR TANK) and rinse and repeat a few times till you feel no residue. Then boil some water and pour it in and let it sit for a while. This guarantees that there's nothing left behind and it's clean. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #3 
mbetta

Thanks for your reply. I did check the betta bulbs for mold (there wasn't any, but I did throw them away when I dumped the gravel after the fish died). We just did the new setup a day before the fish started to appear sick. I just am trying to figure out where ich comes from - I don't have other fish- is it present in all water supplies or would the fish have been infected from the store?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetta View Post
Thanks for your reply. I did check the betta bulbs for mold (there wasn't any, but I did throw them away when I dumped the gravel after the fish died). We just did the new setup a day before the fish started to appear sick. I just am trying to figure out where ich comes from - I don't have other fish- is it present in all water supplies or would the fish have been infected from the store?
Ich is a sickness that develops from poor water quality. Which is why I was asking about how often you change your water.

He could have been infected already when you bought him though.

Fish supplies usually don't have anything on them but when you get the fish supplies you need to rinse and scrub them with hot water so that you can make sure they're 100% clean before you use them.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #5 
kuklachica

Wally, Ich is actually a parasite, not a result of poor water quality. Many times fish have it, but it doesn't present itself until they are stressed or the water temp is low. My guess is that he had it when you purchased him, and it just presented itself with the stress of a new home. You did the right things for him, but it may have been too late :( However, with a new fish, keep an eye out for early signs of ich and if you see something, keep the temp around 84-86* (too hot for the parasite) and add some AQ salt. I believe quick cure is good for it as well. Always keep the heater in with them because they regulate their body temp by the water temp and any fluctuations (i.e. day temp/night temp) can play with their immune systems and make them more susceptible to illness.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

Its really hard to say what killed him? You say that you got him home and put him in a tank with filtered water, a lot of filter system's use chlorine in them so if you didnt use water conditioner then that is real bad. The 2nd thing is he goes from the store to a bag so thats stress, then to the little tank you had thats stress. So he didn't even get to adjust and then you got a bigger tank. And did you use water conditioner in this tank? and what kind of water? So your fish was getting stressed out bad and a stressed fish gets sick sometimes. And then when you add bad water quality to it then they really get sick.

Some people say that ICK is always on a fish, and always in the tank. It just need's the right condition's to come alive.
Some people say ICK come's from poor water condition's, and some say it is from the fish when he gets down and out like we do sometimes.
ICK is very easy to cure in some cases people have cured the tank just by raising the temp to 85, some add fresh water aquarium salt. And some do both, raise the temp and salt... In all cases it has worked out for the people.. I had ICK on my 55, and I like to be safe then sorry. So I put the temp on 85, the aquarium salt and added copper safe treatment. And it was all gone in 3 days..
On bettas, because there so tough and hardy, I like to put them a 1.5 gallon hospital tank and treat with quick cure. Me and other breeders have done it for years and it's always work out fine. Everyone has there own way so.... In your case I would of treated the betta in the display tank. Because if you went to put him back, you no he is not going to catch it again... the whole tank would be treated. And you still need to treat the tank before putting another betta in there...
Im sorry you lost him it can be heart breaking, Specially when you have had them for 3 or 4 years...
Get the tank clean and ready plus do a lot of research and by that time you will be ready for a new guy I hope..... Because out there somewhere is a betta that needs a good home.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #7 
FloridaBettas239

Yes ICK is a parasite, but as soon as you have bad conditions or low temp is can come alive.

I dont think your fish got ICK because of temp shift, I have took bettas from 85 water and droped them in 78 or 80 degree water. And I have took a betta from 78 and put her in 85 degrees water without any problems. Now that I know everything I no now I wont do it anymore because it takes the fish longer to recover. Then if you float them...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

"To cleam your tank: either put the hottest running water you can stand in it, scrub it down with just your hands (DON'T USE ANY KIND OF SOAP EVER TO CLEAN YOUR TANK) and rinse and repeat a few times till you feel no residue. Then boil some water and pour it in and let it sit for a while. This guarantees that there's nothing left behind and it's clean. =]"

Personally, I would NOT use boiling water - seen too many tanks cracked that way.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #9 
Kokonoko

Very sorry to hear about your betta =(
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #10 
mbetta

Thanks to everyone for your advice and concern! I hope we will have better luck with our next fish!