Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #1 
puddin

Fins perfect in a cup - tail biter at home?

So my daughter picked out a beautiful cambodian orange VT two weeks ago, his fins were perfect and healthy. We brought him home and climatized him to his set up 3 gallon tank, heated to 78 with silk plants and caves. I am very scheduled at water changes every 3 days. Apple has bitten his tail from day 3 till now.

Why is his tail perfect in a little cup and then when he's moved to a suitable home he starts biting??? WHY???? Dumb fish, sometimes they make no sense? Does he like a smaller home, should I try moving him to a 1 gallon?
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #2 
doggyhog

It's probably the stress from being moved to a different home. Give him time.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #3 
lyra

My little guy is the same way- his fins were in great shape when I bought him 3 weeks ago, but he's eating himself ragged now. argh!

Poor little guy- my current theory is that he might be bored, since he's alone for 12 or 13 hours in a day. He always comes zipping over to the side of the bowl when I come home and then whenever I walk by. He's got two silk plants to hide in (he really seems to like swimming around between the leaves)... i'm reluctant to put much more in to entertain him since his bowl is really only 3.5 gallons.
lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #4 
Maryrox247

Well first of all, fish are not dumb! Especially bettas, they seem to have the most brains and character out of all the fish i have kept! Sorry if i sounded rude but i just wanted to let you know. Anyways he probably is under a bit of stress being he is in a new home. It sort of like this: Lets say your going to a new school and its a BIG school and i mean so big you literally get lost in it! So you start getting very nervous and when the first day comes you feel like pulling your hair out just5 trying to find your homeroom. Thats what it is probably like for him dont worry he will calm down.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #5 
frogipoi

Okay I don't like you called your betta dumb. It is rude to him. He is probably stressed and tired. What would you feel like if you were kept in a small cup for a month with little food and DIRTY water. Wanted to chew your fingernails? Well they wanted to chew their tail. DO NOT ever call them dumb again. Not to be rude..... Let him have TIME. You can't just guess he will love his house right away. It is like moving to a house somewhere else and being stressed cause you don't know where things are.
That is what it is like. The word dumb said to a smart fish will make him more stressed XD. Did this help?
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #6 
puddin

Maryrox - I agree, out of all the fish I have kept so far in my hobby (and I am 36 years old) betta fish do have the most personality and character. When I called him dumb it was not in anger but more of a "shake my head in wonder" kind of way. I do like your analogy of a new school though. I currently have 13 male bettas that I lovingly care for and this is my first tail biter. I appreciate the different perspective, it has never happened to me before and I was not sure if I should move him to a smaller tank or not. I will give him more time as was suggested. Thanks!

Frogipoi - I really don't think my fish knows if I am rude or not - it IS a fish and they don't understand words. They do know that I provide them with good clean warm water and a variety of foods, so they are happy and I am happy in my hobby knowing they are thriving in my care. I do understand you are 10, I even have a 10 year old child myself, and I commend you for caring so much about your pet and hobby. I am also very impressed with your typing skills!! But please DO NOT berate me.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #7 
Betta Slave

I agree with the above- fish don't understand words. They are fish, after all. It's no big deal, Frogipoi- Puddin was just frustrated with her tail-biter (I know, I have one myself! o.o).

What I did to cure my guy's bad habit was that I just placed him in a quiet, secluded place (where he could still see me) away from my other bettas. That's it. It didn't take much. XD Though some bettas can be pretty fussy. He'll warm up in time.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #8 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogipoi View Post
Okay I don't like you called your betta dumb. It is rude to him. word dumb said to a smart fish will make him more stressed XD.
Haha. Seriously? He/She is probably just frustrated and ranted a little about it. I promise you could call your fish any name in the book, and he would be happy as long as he got food and clean water. Believe it or not fish can not speak.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #9 
Welsh

I know how frustrating a tail biter can be, I am at the end of my tether with my boy but he has lots to do and seems happy enough, I now realise why my mother always shouted when I bit my nails haha.

What I have noticed is that recently I had to put my male in the sorority for a few days, dont worry he was divided from them and as he was distracted he didn't chew himself and his tail started to grow back, also I change the tank around every so often so that he doesn't get bored with the deco, its like us always re-decorating our houses because everything just gets too familiar and boring Another thing you could try is placing something outside his tank for him to focus on, this is often suggested with glass surfing but I find it works for his little tail biting habit too
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #10 
betta fish crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
Lets say your going to a new school and its a BIG school and i mean so big you literally get lost in it! So you start getting very nervous and when the first day comes you feel like pulling your hair out just5 trying to find your homeroom.
Ha ha I've had very similar experiences. But it's probably just stress. I'm pretty sure he'll grow out of it.
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote