Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #1 
Betta Slave

Male not eating conditioning food?

I just came back from Big Al's with some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. My female, Tallulah-Faye, LOVES them already and ate the whole little piece I cut off for her in one bite. XD Murdoc, on the otherhand, doesn't really know what to do with them.
I know it's early, but what if he continues to not eat the conditioning food? What will I do? Just continue him with Hikari Betta pellets? I know he could warm up to them, but he's a fussy fish.

Thank you! (I'm a little scared right now...)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #2 
Adastra

You thawed them out in a bit of tank water first, right?

When the fish get used to eating floating pellets, sometimes they don't know what to do when you give them thawed foods because they sink and they smell different. Usually I use a pipette to suck up a brine shrimp at a time and squirt in front of the betta's face. If the betta still doesn't get it, start feeding the pellets on the tip of your finger (if you presoak your pellets, you'll find they stick to your finger quite well) or with a pipette--the fish will associate your finger or the pipette with food, and at that point it doesn't matter what is on your finger or what is coming out the pipette--the fish will eat it. :)

You should also try to get some live blackworms. Most fish stores sell them regularly--just rinse before use. They're a great source of protein and fish go nuts over them.

What kind of pair are you conditioning?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #3 
Betta Slave

Yes, I let them thaw.
I put the food on my finger for him, but he still didn't get it. I'll try tonight at feeding time again only with a pellet, thanks. I'll try and get a pipette too.
Unfortunately, no pet stores around me have live blackworms. >.< I did ask, but no one had them.

I'm conditioning a red cambo CT female and a red butterfly CT male.

Thank you for your help!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #4 
vaygirl

If it's whole or half worms you can try wiggling them in front of him with tweezers. I do that to get my dwarf puffer's attention. If they're in pieces that might not work though.

Edit: Make sure they're dull tweezers though and don't have a sharp edge
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would keep trying the bloodworms. Hopefully he'll decide that they're pretty tasty. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Usually if I wiggle the worm in the fish's face they'll go after it (predatory response). I even play with Rio. I make him chase the worm all over the tank. I used to play with the girls but they started jumping out of the water a little too much for my taste LOL
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

Alright, thank you all! I will try those methods.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #8 
doggyhog

I have a few who won't eat them unless I let them chase it around for a little bit. Then once they get it they attack it like a dog playing tug a war. They even shake their heads back and forth. LOL

Just keep trying, he'll eat it eventually.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #9 
Betta Slave

Last night I found some unused, blunt tweezers and I wiggled them in front of his face. He ate them but spat them out again. By the end of the night there were bloodworms scattered around the bottom of his aquarium, but this morning they were gone, so at least he's eating them from there. I'll try the tweezer thing again when I feed them today.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Rio was the same way. When I first got him he would take his food and spit it out, later on the pellets/worms would be missing from the tank bottom. Eventually he learned how to eat like a big boy and quit spitting out his food.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote