Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #1 
newlynothere

A low(er)-stress way of moving a fish to my dorm?

Hey guys! I'm new to the betta world and one of the main reasons that I decided to get into it was so that I could have my little buddy, Zombie with me at college. He is currently in a one gallon tank but in a day or so I'll be moving him to his five gallon with a filter and heater and places to hide and such.
I was wondering what the easiest way to move muh fishy to my dorm with me would be. The dorm is about an hour away and I'm not sure the easiest way to transport him and his tank and such along with all the other things i need for schooling would be. If anyone has any tips on getting Mr. Zombie into my new home easily and as stress free as possible, I would reeeally appreciate it! Thank you so much!
newlynothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #2 
kikuhoshi

How far away is your school? If it's relatively close (30 minutes; hey, I lived on campus during the week because I'm without a car/license), then you cam probably just transfer him in his tank. If it's farther away (or you don't think that you like that idea), put him in the cup he came in (or a tupperware container with a lid & plenty of air) and transport him like that.

I don't think there's really a completely non-stress way to do it, but I never had trouble with my male fish. Then again, I bought him as a dorm fish for when I lived on-campus at a school 2 hours away, so he kinda got used to the commute.

When you're going there, try to keep him cushioned, so that he's not bouncing around. If you're capable, hold him (I'm not sure if you're driving or someone else is), because I noticed that holding my fish seemed to make him feel more comfortable (didn't bite his fins during/afterwards).

I hope this helps. I've only been betta'd for about a year, so someone else probably knows more than I do about the whole thing... I did get my bettaboy as a companion for when I lived in a single room during the Fall 09 semester... Best decision I've ever made. I just got him a "girlfriend", but I don't think I'm going to mate them.

Good luck with school and Zombie! :)
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #3 
newlynothere

Someone else is driving. It's about an hour. I like the tuppaware container idea! I think holding him would be best. I can try to compensate for the car movement.
And Yeah I thought getting a fish for school would be a neat idea. To have a little friend until I can meet my own human ones (and after that too!) will be nice!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the tips from someone who has moved a betta already. I think I'll do the tuppaware holding him thing. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #4 
kikuhoshi

Don't be surprised if he's a little "woozy", so to speak. He might not want to eat immediately, so what I'd do is set him up first, and then arrange your room or whatever, then give him a little food. That's what I always ended up doing. :)

No problem - this site helps me a LOT when I need it. :) I admit that I just jumped into it (I bought one fish, but the fish ended up dying later that day due to an illness I hadn't noticed). I learned about a great water conditioner, when the one I used crystallized (crystallized. Seriously), and ended up with a small addiction (thankfully, I only have two :D otherwise, I'd be homeless. Haha). My parents are both supportive, though, because grandfish = lack-of-grandbaby. :)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Ah. =] I'm going back to college with my little guy too! =]

My drive is 5 hours though. =/ Oh well.

I agree with the tupperware container thing. just poke a couple holes in the lid for air though.

Also make sure the car isn't cold and isn't too hot because you don't want your fish to get temperature shock. =[

I'm putting my guy back in the container he came in and putting him in the drink holder. =] That's how I got him from the store I bought him at back home (an hour drive). =]

Good luck with him and moving to college. =]

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuhoshi View Post
My parents are both supportive, though, because grandfish = lack-of-grandbaby. :)
LOL!!!!! Glad they're supportive. XD

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 08-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #6 
Welsh

Metalbetta has just moved home with her fish so maybe she could help you maybe you could double bag your fish wrap the bag in a towel or bubblewrap and then place in a cooler with another towel around for extra security
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #7 
kikuhoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Edit:
LOL!!!!! Glad they're supportive. XD
I just graduated 2 years ago, and roughly 11% of my graduating class is pregnant or has a child already. I still live with my parents, so they'd be dealing with the baby, too. Grandfish are quiet. lol
Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #8 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuhoshi View Post
I just graduated 2 years ago, and roughly 11% of my graduating class is pregnant or has a child already. I still live with my parents, so they'd be dealing with the baby, too. Grandfish are quiet. lol
My parents aren't supportive of their grandfish and would prefer to have grandkids lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #9 
kikuhoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
My parents aren't supportive of their grandfish and would prefer to have grandkids lol
I'm so sorry. There should always be support for grandpets, especially grandfish, as they're so quiet. :D

Aaaand we've taken this off topic, haha. Sorry, OP!!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #10 
newlynothere

Hahaha I love the grandfish thing. My parents don't really care what I do as long as I pay for it. I really appreciate the help everyone! I really like the idea of the cooler with all the extra cushioning and I'll do the slow tank set up thing too to help him get accustommed. Also thank you for the wellwishes!

I just have one more question about tank size... Do you think I should keep him in his filtered five gallon or switch him out to the one gallon and just deal with changing the water everyday? Is the size of the tank really that big of a deal? Or was it for you? The college rules say we can have tanks of UP to 25 Gallons.. .which is way more than I thought it would be... but even so, is a bigger tank really that much more of a hassle? Did your room mates mind and all that?