Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #11 
Adastra

As was said earlier, there is no replacement for 100% water changes, unfortunately, as long as the tank is small and uncycled.

When you do your water changes, you should probably give your boy a bit more time to acclimate--float him in the water, and pour out some of the old and let in some of the new at intervals. If the water is similar to the water he came out of (same temp, same source, same additives) you can do this over about 15-20 minutes. If any of these factors are different, I usually stretch it out over 45min-1hr.

Have you gotten him a heater yet?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #12 
JosShavaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
As was said earlier, there is no replacement for 100% water changes, unfortunately, as long as the tank is small and uncycled.

When you do your water changes, you should probably give your boy a bit more time to acclimate--float him in the water, and pour out some of the old and let in some of the new at intervals. If the water is similar to the water he came out of (same temp, same source, same additives) you can do this over about 15-20 minutes. If any of these factors are different, I usually stretch it out over 45min-1hr.

Have you gotten him a heater yet?

Yes, I got him a heater on Tuesday. Annoyingly some of my friends on Facebook are telling me "oh he doesn't need a heater, just a light", but the light on my tank does work, and the one time it did, it wasn't very bright, so the light option wasn't an option for me, so I just spent the $15 and got him a heater.
JosShavaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #13 
Adastra

Bettas, just like other animals, need a day/night cycle too, and when you turn the light on and off, it can cause some dangerous temperature fluctuations. Lights also tend to heat the water unevenly. It's much better to use an actual heater, especially one with an effective thermostat and adjustable settings.

Lots of people have some strange ideas when it comes to fish care, and they don't really take the time to understand the lack of logic behind them. It's good that you saw the right of it and got him a heater. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #14 
JosShavaughn

So I did a 100% water change. but I forgot to scrub the tank and wash anything, and now his water is cloudy.

And also, Zombie's been pretty mellow since I got him, but I think he's become even less active, I'm afraid he's getting sick.

What should I do? Should I change the water again and wash everything this time?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #15 
kuklachica

When you say "wash"..... what do you mean...?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #16 
JosShavaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
When you say "wash"..... what do you mean...?
Like rinse them off. I know you're not supposed to use soap, right?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #17 
kuklachica

Right, ok, phew, I thought you meant wash with soap. Hmm... what water conditioner are you using? I used Tetra Aquasafe for a while and had to stop because it was making my water incredibly cloudy (in a 6.6 gallon tank with filter). That might be a problem...
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #18 
JosShavaughn

I'm using NutraFin Betta Plus. I've been using it since I got Zombie and it hasn't made the water this cloudy.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #19 
kuklachica

Well, build-up of ammonia can make water cloudy. Do you have an ammonia test strip/kit? If so, it would be worth testing to see how much ammonia is in there while it is cloudy (I bet there's a good bit). Also, it would be worth testing your tap water just to see how much is in there as well (I found that mine actually has quite a bit).

Right now, I would take him out, do another 100% WC and rinse everything with hot water and see if that helps. Also, how much are you feeding? And when you feed, do you take out any uneaten food? That tends to make water cloudy over time.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #20 
JosShavaughn

Good News, the water's cleared up and Zombie's more active.

Perhaps Zombie was just tired last night when I was watching him so closely.