Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #1 
Kokonoko

Question Background Pictures for Tanks

I was wondering if anyone else has troubles with background pictures for thier tanks. Mine seems to be so reflective, which in turn shows Riddle his reflection. Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Also, as a similiar solution, I was wondering if anyone had any other creative ideas to use as a backdrop (Outside the tank of course). Maybe something similiar looking to old-school fish netting? Dunno, was hoping I could catch some ideas =)
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #2 
Owlets

I'm boring and just use plain old black paper on the back of Frank's 5 gallon, since I didn't have any other backdrops around. It makes him stand out more :)
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #3 
Drift

My reptile tanks my dad made his own backgrounds by printing pictures he took and taping the to the back. I don't have any on my fish tanks, though I was going to stop and buy some poster board and use that. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #4 
newfishmom

Right now I am using contact paper as a background. Lots of different ways to go with it and, you get a whole roll for around $3.00 and it does ALL my tanks (10 gallon, 2 - 5 gallon, 2 gallon) with LOTS left over.

I also have been looking at the stuff to etch glass. You would have to get a seperate piece of glass though I think. Still don't know about that. Also seen some spray that frosts glass that would be kinda neat.

I think the fish net would look awsome. Post us a pic whenever you get done!
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #5 
Welsh

Do you have a background already? I had a similar problem, which didn't effect the fish just bothered me lol. Is your background fixed tight against the glass? mine was all bendy so I took it off, straightned it and the problem went away
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

I use poster board - comes in a ton of different colors, nice & stiff & CHEAP (YAY!!).

I usually use the black since it is a flat black & doesn't reflect like some of the pre-made tank backings.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #7 
peaches3221

i had the same problem! Riley kept flaring at his reflection so i had to take it off.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #8 
Adastra

I use fabric and double sided tape. Navy blue for my larger tanks, and dark brown for my betta tanks since it goes a little better with their tannin-tinted water. Fabric barely reflects any light, so I feel it gives more of an illusion of depth. Just make sure you iron it really well first.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #9 
Kokonoko

Thank you for all the replies! Maybe I'll try straightening my current background out and press it firmly to the background first. Also though I like the fabric idea more... maybe I can expand on that in someway or another?

Thank you again! *Bows*
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote