Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #21 
LeroyTheBetta

Also, I can survive on cookies and potato chips (and I'd sure be happy) ...... but not as well as if I ate a "healthy" diet, one recommended for a long, healthy life as determined by scientific research. And, wouldn't "enough" be when this thread has no more posts. After all, it is a community forum and everyone here has a right to post if they so choose.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-23-2011 at 01:09 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #22 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian1949 View Post
I know they PREFER warmer temp's., but they CAN survive in lower temp's also. And be quite healthy and happy. Now enough is enough!
Surviving isn't necessarily being healthy and/or happy. Seems like you're getting upset because you're stubborn and don't like being corrected.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #23 
marian1949

I said Enough, because all it seems is you want to argue with me. If this is a community forum, then why am I not allowed to give my opinions based upon my experiences, and knowledge, without being attacked about them, by yourself?

I don't mind being corrected, when there is something to correct me about.

Last edited by marian1949; 05-23-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Answer a second question.
marian1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #24 
turtle10

Quote:
I said Enough, because all it seems is you want to argue with me. If this is a community forum, then why am I not allowed to give my opinions based upon my experiences, and knowledge, without being attacked about them, by yourself?
We aren't arguing…. you have a right to say your opinions, and we have a right to disagree. All members on this sight will agree with us that a betta is not its happiest at 70 degrees with a goldfish, regardless of fancy or comet.

You aren't being attacked, we are just telling you that isn't good for you fish.

The point of the matter is that a betta is healthier and happier in warmer water with fish they are actually compatible with, no ifs, ands, or buts. It isn't fair to deprive the betta of the temperatures it requires. I am 100% positive that both the goldfish and the betta would be happier and healthier if separated.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #25 
marian1949

And how would you know what ALL of members on this site (sight?) think?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #26 
marian1949

I would appreciate no more comments about Betta fish and Goldfish living together. I realize Bettas like warmer water. I am just stating they can live in cooler temp's also, without any difficulty. A number of Freshwater Tropicals can live, healthfully, in cooler water.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #27 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
You are allowed to give your opinions, whatever they are, and you have done so. But realize that everyone here also can give their opinions on what you have stated. This is what a forum is for.... discussion. If you want to participate in a discussion, then you need to accept that not all people will agree with you. Some will, some won't. Some people may even make a comment that you may not agree with.

So, in my opinion (as I'm also allowed to have one) I'm getting the impression that you aren't 100% happy that people have disagreed with you. But, I don't see posts that have attacked you, and especially not by me....
Quote:
by yourself?
I gave an analogy and also stated that "enough" just might not have been all there was.... as I just may have had something else to say, and wasn't going to be stifled in a community forum where I am following the forum's guidelines.

So, if you were offended and felt attacked by anyone, maybe you should report the offending posters to one of the forum's moderators.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #28 
turtle10

Yes they can survive in low temps, do they like it? I doubt it.
Would they be happier and healthier in an appropriate environment? Definitely yes.

You may not have difficulty, but you don't know what the fish are thinking. It is best to keep them in their proper environments. You just can't mix a cold water fish with a warm water fish without sacrificing the health and happiness of the other fish. It just isn't fair to them.

From the way you are being, I gather that you aren't going to change your set up, so please just don't recommend this to anyone, they might not know any better.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #29 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
I would appreciate no more comments about Betta fish and Goldfish living together. I realize Bettas like warmer water. I am just stating they can live in cooler temp's also, without any difficulty. A number of Freshwater Tropicals can live, healthfully, in cooler water.
Marian, with all due respect, this was an old thread that a new forum member made a comment on. You don't need to make any more comments if you don't find it necessary, although this discussion may continue.

I'm sure your experience tells you that bettas and goldfish can live in cooler temps ok. But please accept that there are many others who may have had the experience that bettas cannot live in those cooler temps you have mentioned.

So, my unbiased opinion is that there might be a majority who think that those cooler temperatures are not adequate. Through my researching bettas, I would be one of those.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #30 
trono

I don't even think temperature should be the main issue here. The fact is that bettas and goldfish are just not compatible, period. I've never owned a goldfish but through a very small amount of research I've learned that they grow pretty big and live a long time when properly cared for.

Aside from the fact that goldfish need rather large tanks to accommodate their large size, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "There's always a bigger fish." Assuming a goldfish was allowed to grow to even a half of their full grown size, they would probably eat a betta eventually.

I don't think it's a matter of opinion, I think it's a matter of fact.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote