Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #31 
LeroyTheBetta

+1
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #32 
bettafish15

Freshwater tropicals are called that for a reason... they need Tropical temperatures. If they could be healthy in colder temperatures they wouldn't be called Tropical fish. It is a well known fact bettas are from hot Thailand, not somewhere cooler. It's silly how the temperatures are being debated, the fish needs what the fish needs, and bettas need warm water. That's that.

If you want tropical fish (bettas and others) to die, go ahead and put them in a goldfish tank. >__> That's my two cents! :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #33 
LittleBettaFish

Not to mention the pH, filtration and feeding requirements are vastly different for both species. These are essentially the exact opposite of each other, and just another reason the two shouldn't be housed together. Goldfish prefer harder water and a higher pH, a more fibrous and vegetable based diet, and at least x10 water circulation which adds to quite a lot of current. Plus the higher the temperature of the tank, the less dissolved oxygen in the water and the more filtration you'll need to provide.

Ps. I know this was an old topic, but it could be useful info for members.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #34 
Neil D

^ great!

I kno this is an old topic but still, Bettas and GFs don't mix.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #35 
Ethan

+2 to the two above post

No matter what they just don't mix it's like trying to mix gasolione with a spark (Kaboom!) Not pretty............ or in a simple term its like trying to substitute butter for jam in a recipe still not pretty! Maybe tasty though lol

Goldfish require big living spaces. The best thing to know what your fish needs living space...........is using the gallon per inch rule.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #36 
Neil D

THe one gallon per inch rule doesnt really work. Imagine a ten inch GF in a ten gallon tank! *shudders*
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #37 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
THe one gallon per inch rule doesnt really work. Imagine a ten inch GF in a ten gallon tank! *shudders*

whoops yea almost forgot about that! Man ya 10 in. goldy in a 10 gal. aint pretty! I was thinking betta wise when I said that like a average betta needs 3 gallons.

Thanks for reminding me
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #38 
Neil D

true. depends i guess...
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #39 
Kytkattin

My mom has a koi and a goldfish, and we are actually getting a 250 gallon tank for the Koi later this week. The goldfish is going to stay in the 80 gallon. He is just shy of 15 inches. The koi is probably closer to 20 inches. Now, I am not a goldfish person, they just are not my cup of tea, but after you have seen them be properly cared for in large tanks, you would never dream of putting one in anything smaller than a 50 gallon tank (growing them in 20 gallons is okay, but long term they need so much more). Obviously most of them will never reach this potential due to poor care, just like most bettas will be stuck in tanks too small with dirty water.

The one inch of fish per gallon rule only really works for smaller tropical fish in a community tank. Fish that are over 7 inches need new rules.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #40 
marian1949

And why are you telling me this?
marian1949 is offline   Reply With Quote