Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Talking Couple Plant Questions - light, ferts

Okay, so I'm thinking that Freedy's tank looks gross.

Not because the water is nasty, but rather because it's a bare-bottom tank with scuzzy looking fake plants in it. It just looks depressing. It has no light built in either, since it's a Kritter Keeper. So, I'm thinking about remodeling for him. :)

First of all, should I even bother redoing the 3.5 gallon tank, or should I just upgrade him to a 5 and mess with that? I'll probably catch a ton of flack for buying yet another tank (I have three in use and one 10gal in the basement), but I'd be willing to risk it if it would be good for him.

Second, if I was wanting to use low-light (easy) plants like java ferns, anacris and anubias barteri/nana to put in this tank, what kind of light would they need? Would they need any fertilizers? Feel free to suggest other plants as well.

Would having gravel in my tank make the wastes and ammonia build up faster, or would the plants help to prevent this?

His tank already has a filter and a heater, which I would keep, and also a fake rock that's not so bad.

Last edited by FuulieQ; 08-05-2010 at 03:55 PM.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #2 
Welsh

Maybe you will get more luck with finding your answer over on the Tropicalfishkeeping site
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

You think they'd know better?

Maybe I'll head over there.

I just asked the people at my LFS and they said that for the plants I'm planning on putting in, just any old light will probably work. Forgot to ask about ferts, though.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #4 
Welsh

I always go to the TFK forum for my plant questions and they are always great help. Any old bulb won't work though, I have a standard 15w that came with my tank and every single plant i've owned has died, its all about colour or something. Theres a post of mine over there that is similar to this, let me find it for you.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...p-alive-48724/
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote