Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #1 
TropicalRockstar

Exclamation EMERGENCY!! Please Help My Betta.

Hi everyone. My betta is in real big trouble and I dont know what to do. His one eye is like 4 times bigger then the other one. Hes not eating and his colors are fading. His belly is also swollen and is changing to a yellowish color. What do i do, what do i get to help my Betta? Please help me.

In addition.
The water is good and clean.
And the aquarium itself is good and clean as well.

Last edited by TropicalRockstar; 08-06-2010 at 09:26 AM.
TropicalRockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #2 
Welsh

It sounds to me like popeye. Popeye is a symptom of an internal bacterial infection and is not a disease in itself. It is caused by the build up of fluid either behind the eye or in the actual eye.

Does your fish still eat as usual? if so then you can get medicated food which is specifically used for bacterial infections. Clean water and good water conditions can also help with treatment

Is there anyone else in his tank? You may want to take him out and put him in a quarantine tank which will make it easier for daily water changes and if you can't find the medicated food then Epsom salts can be used with good results, this will help draw the fluids out and you should use one tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for atleast 3 days or longer if needed but read the instructions before you use.

Have you been testing the water parmeters with a test kit?

Last edited by Welsh; 08-06-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #3 
TropicalRockstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
It sounds to me like popeye. Popeye is a symptom of an internal bacterial infection and is not a disease in itself. It is caused by the build up of fluid either behind the eye or in the actual eye.

Does your fish still eat as usual? if so then you can get medicated food which is specifically used for bacterial infections. Clean water and good water conditions can also help with treatment

Is there anyone else in his tank?
Hes not eating much at all, so no hes not eating at usual. And he has two neon tetras and a panda cory and pleco, and a Kuhlii Loach that are his tank mates. What kind of medicated food do you suggest?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #4 
Welsh

That I can't help you on i'm afraid but i'm sure someone else can direct you on that. Oldfishlady is good with diseases and infections.

You could try the Epsom Salts like I suggested instead of the food. Do you have a picture of your fish so that myself and others on the forum can help identify whether it really is popeye?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #5 
TropicalRockstar

Quote:
That I can't help you on i'm afraid but i'm sure someone else can direct you on that. Oldfishlady is good with diseases and infections.

You could try the Epsom Salts like I suggested instead of the food. Do you have a picture of your fish so that myself and others on the forum can help identify whether it really is popeye?
Okay, My next question is, if i tried the Epsom salts in the main tank, would that hurt the other fish that are in there? I can't get a good photo of him mainly because he is hiding in the back of the tank and i can't get a good shot of him. I will work on getting the picture. I also haven't tested the water with a test kit because I ran out of test strips, I will also work on that too. Right now i think I'll try the Epsom salts and see if that works.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #6 
Welsh

I would recommend that you take your betta out of the tank and put him in a bare bottom tank with a heater, you won't need a filter as you will need to do 100% water changes everyday, also the tank doesn't have to be fancy just suitable. I find most people use goldfish bowls or critter keepers for their hospital tanks.

What size is the tank that you have the fish in?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #7 
TropicalRockstar

Quote:
I would recommend that you take your betta out of the tank and put him in a bare bottom tank with a heater, you won't need a filter as you will need to do 100% water changes everyday, also the tank doesn't have to be fancy just suitable. I find most people use goldfish bowls or critter keepers for their hospital tanks.

What size is the tank that you have the fish in?
I have a ten gallon, But I also have a 1 gallon quarantine tank, that I will be setting up right now. Thank you so much for all your help with this, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #8 
Welsh

No problem. I'm sure Oldfishlady will drop by shortly to give you a lot more help and better treatment methods
Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I agree with Welsh,
Qt- Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days, since he has stopped eating and his body is swollen, sadly he may not recover as it sounds advanced.
I would also turn off any lights over the QT tank and if he is struggling to swim-lower the water level by half and cover the top of the tank with plastic veggie wrap to keep the air above the water warm and humid.

On the 10g tank-I would start making 50% daily water changes for 3-4 days and then 50% weekly thereafter.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #10 
TropicalRockstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I agree with Welsh,
Qt- Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days, since he has stopped eating and his body is swollen, sadly he may not recover as it sounds advanced.
I would also turn off any lights over the QT tank and if he is struggling to swim-lower the water level by half and cover the top of the tank with plastic veggie wrap to keep the air above the water warm and humid.

On the 10g tank-I would start making 50% daily water changes for 3-4 days and then 50% weekly thereafter.
Okay, I still have hope that my boy will make it though. Thank you for all your help, I'll keep you all informed throughout this process. Thanks again.