betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice pics!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #12 
FloridaBettas239

So you bred 2 different fin type's? what are you trying to acomplish with this now and year's down the road?
The female look's like a pet store betta her body type is undesirable. Very off balance, and not good semmetry on her... Im not trying to be mean I just wonder why people do this type of breeding with fish like that...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #13 
JamieTron

They look so cute!!! I love the colors on the female, and I think the dad is especially lovely!! I can;t wait to see them when they are older.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #14 
angelus2402004

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
So you bred 2 different fin type's? what are you trying to acomplish with this now and year's down the road?
The female look's like a pet store betta her body type is undesirable. Very off balance, and not good semmetry on her... Im not trying to be mean I just wonder why people do this type of breeding with fish like that...
Both fish are from Petco. The female is a crowntail and the male is a halfmoon. I don't know what you mean in regards to how her body type is "undesirable" but it could also be just how the pic was taken. These two were easy to breed and they both are beautiful fish. I like the crown tail/dragon type and I was interested in how the color combination between these two would result in. This may be a one time only kind of test with the breeding thing, I haven't decided yet.
angelus2402004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

For the Fans of Bettysplendens-here is a link and a paragraph from the link on her site about creation of your own line....

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...articleid=3005
"We all want to reach our goals as quick as possible but usually this will need several generations. Several generations, means several years of work and this will require a lot of patience which is not always easy, but it is definitely worthwhile. I hope this article will encourage hobbyists to work with their fish in order to find out what is hidden in their genetics. While doing this, do not be afraid to cross different colors and finnage types. Finally, I will end with one of the most important points when breeding bettas:.....
Enjoy your hobby!"

I think you did a great job and the only way you will know what you have or what you can get...is to spawn and find out first hand.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #16 
JamieTron

Well said OFL!!!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #17 
Adastra

FloridaBettas said it a bit harshly, but he (at least I think you're a he because you put "girls" as one of your interests in your profile, but excuse me if I'm wrong!) isn't totally wrong in questioning you about your motives. It is generally frowned upon to breed for practice or just as an experiment--after all you're creating a lot of lives that will be very hard to permanently rehome because they're the same kind of stock you can buy in any pet store. If you were wondering what would happen as a result of your two fish, you could just have done a bit of research on betta genetics and from there, would have been able to infer the kind of fish you would get.

I don't disagree altogether with experimentation, as that is how so much variation in the species has originated, but I think it should be done with more intent than just "to see what you'll get," y'know? Especially since nowadays that curiosity can be satisfied by just a little research.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. :) Good to hear the babies are doing well, I hope you have lots of good luck with finding them great homes. I hope you keep us updated.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #18 
vilmarisv

They are cuties! And you're obviously doing something right this time around!

I agree with OldFishLady (and Victoria), you have to start somewhere to create something unique. If the genetics of the fish you're breeding appeal to you, then those are the ones you should use.
Why does the default selection have to be HMs? Don't get me wrong, if I ever bred that's exactly the fin type I would use but not everyone is the same.
I'm sure that some people thought that breeding a wild type with a splendens was preposterous but look at the amazing lines they have created over time.
On the other hand, as Adastra said, it's ideal to start off with a good pair as you can never be sure of the genetics of a petstore fish. Even if a fish looks great he/she might be carrying a gene you don't want in your fry.
As long as you're realistic about what you're doing, don't expect all the fry to have the best characteristics of both parents, and realize that you'll probably will have to give away your fish in order to get them homes, you're allright in my book.
Taking those things in consideration, I think you should wait out the outcome of this experience and how you feel about it before you breed another pair.
As I said, you're definitely doing something right if your fry have survived for 4 weeks and are looking so healty. If you love them and have the resources to house them if you can't find homes for them, why not?
I repeated myself there but I hope you get my point LOL!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #19 
angelus2402004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
FloridaBettas said it a bit harshly, but he (at least I think you're a he because you put "girls" as one of your interests in your profile, but excuse me if I'm wrong!) isn't totally wrong in questioning you about your motives. It is generally frowned upon to breed for practice or just as an experiment--after all you're creating a lot of lives that will be very hard to permanently rehome because they're the same kind of stock you can buy in any pet store. If you were wondering what would happen as a result of your two fish, you could just have done a bit of research on betta genetics and from there, would have been able to infer the kind of fish you would get.

I don't disagree altogether with experimentation, as that is how so much variation in the species has originated, but I think it should be done with more intent than just "to see what you'll get," y'know? Especially since nowadays that curiosity can be satisfied by just a little research.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. :) Good to hear the babies are doing well, I hope you have lots of good luck with finding them great homes. I hope you keep us updated.

I did the research. I know that they'll end up as combtails/halfsuns but I generally like to experience things for myself. I'll find homes for them as well. Thank you for your comments.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #20 
angelus2402004

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
They are cuties! And you're obviously doing something right this time around!

I agree with OldFishLady (and Victoria), you have to start somewhere to create something unique. If the genetics of the fish you're breeding appeal to you, then those are the ones you should use.
Why does the default selection have to be HMs? Don't get me wrong, if I ever bred that's exactly the fin type I would use but not everyone is the same.
I'm sure that some people thought that breeding a wild type with a splendens was preposterous but look at the amazing lines they have created over time.
On the other hand, as Adastra said, it's ideal to start off with a good pair as you can never be sure of the genetics of a petstore fish. Even if a fish looks great he/she might be carrying a gene you don't want in your fry.
As long as you're realistic about what you're doing, don't expect all the fry to have the best characteristics of both parents, and realize that you'll probably will have to give away your fish in order to get them homes, you're allright in my book.
Taking those things in consideration, I think you should wait out the outcome of this experience and how you feel about it before you breed another pair.
As I said, you're definitely doing something right if your fry have survived for 4 weeks and are looking so healty. If you love them and have the resources to house them if you can't find homes for them, why not?
I repeated myself there but I hope you get my point LOL!
Thanks. Yes, I love them very much! I'll find some way to get them homes. :)