Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #1 
mollyyymo

transporting young bettas

My fry are now getting older, growing big, and they seem to be in good health.

However, I will be moving out of my apartment in one week and staying with my boyfriend's family in Detroit for a week before moving into my dorm room, and I am a little concerned about where to keep my babies.

On the one hand, I could leave them with my parents and sister who live two hours away. They all want fish from my spawns, so they would probably be willing to take care of them for a week before I pick them up and move them into my dorm room.

Pros: The fish wouldn't have to sit in the car for a total of 20 hours back and fourth from Detroit, and then an additional hour or more back to school from my house in Western New York on a hectic move-in day. My dad LOVES fish, and would be happy to have them, but...
Cons: Between my dad's disability, my mom's hectic work schedule, and my sister's teenage angst and general apathy toward anything that doesn't benefit her personally, I worry that the fish will not be well-feed, kept clean, etc.

On the other hand, I could take them with me to Detroit, take care of them myself, and hope for the best with travel.

Pros: I will not have to worry about their rigorous feeding/cleaning needs being met (or not met), as I would be doing it myself.
Cons: The fish will be traveling a long distance in a hot car, and on move-in day, I will have to shuffle them around through throngs of overzealous upperclasswomen to get them up a spiral staircase to my dorm room.

Should I trust my family with this responsibility or just stow them along with me?

Currently I am in the process of jarring the fry in secure, lidded containers (with air holes, of course) which my mom procured from work.

HALP!!!!11one
mollyyymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #2 
JamieTron

how old are the fry now?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

They should be fine either way. Betta fry are quite hardy, much more so than we give them credit for.

It would probably be easier on the fish to leave them where they are but I don't think moving them would be too bad.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote