Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #1 
jemko

My Betta isn't eating

I just bought this fish three days ago and am feeding him flaked food.
Well, you see I've noticed that he'll eat maybe one or two little flakes and thats it.
This is my first time using flaked food for a Betta, for all my past Betta's I've fed them the pellet food.
Should I switch him to pellet food or something else?
Please could someone help me. I'm worried about my little Francis!
jemko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #2 
Welsh

When you add fish to a new environment it can take a few days for them to adjust to their new surroundings, you may notice that he is hiding or is very skittish but the good news is that in a few days he should become used to his new home and start to eat a bit more. Some members on this forum have gone over a week trying to get their bettas to eat food so just be patient and eventually you won't be able to stop him from eating lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #3 
LoveSGSE

Agreed. My hmpk male I got 2 days ago isn't eating. But they could be adjusting their environment. On a side note, I don't think flak foods are healthy
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #4 
PeiMai

Just noticed that my betta isnt eating this morning I got him yesterday from the petshop. He seesm to hang out near the thermometer that I have in the tank in the corner. Thanks to this thread I now know that he's probably a bit cold but is this normal?
P.S. Temp in tank is 74F

Last edited by PeiMai; 08-07-2010 at 08:48 AM.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #5 
LoveSGSE

Its slightly too cold. Best to be at 78-82F
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #6 
PeiMai

would temperature cause erratic swimming, very jerky movements?
Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #7 
derpmeister

Bettas do need time to adjust to their new environments before they start eating frequently, sometimes up to 5 days. However, it's common for them to reject flake food, especially if they have just been introduced to it because they might not realize it's food.

If he doesn't start eating soon, I would suggest switching him to pellets. Hikari Bio-Gold Betta pellets are my betta's favorite. Good luck!
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #8 
PeiMai

ok so I took the advise of the How to section and my father, went out and bought a two gallon hex tank with under gravel filter hood and light...the guy at the shop was rather helpful and figured out that I could put this thinga-majigger on top of the tube and that would allow me to use a carbon filtering system as well as the undergravel. Got nice white gravel a silk plant and three black accent stones. He looks much happier the tank looks nicer and I dont feel so worried. Keeping my fingers crossed.

P.S. Murphy's law was in full effect. Once I got home got the tank set up, and pei mai was happily swimming around I went outside and mentioned to my neighbor that I had gotten a bigger tank. She quizzically looked at me, and told me that I could have her complete 10 gallon set up that she no longer uses. Dumb luck, huh.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #9 
Welsh

You could still take the 10 gallon lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #10 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
You could still take the 10 gallon lol
What do you think Im stupid of course I did! Don't know what I'll put in it but I plan on starting that on a cycling setup for something at some point. Also saving up for a 55 gal. tank for African cichlids but thats another story for another board.:) Can't really see having a 55 gal. tank for one male betta lol