Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #1 
PACfish

Red face Help! afraid my fish may die =(

I'm new to the forum (obviously) and I have concerns about "my" new fish.

My wife and I had decided to start a fish tank for my two and a half year old daughter to look at as she has recently developed an interest in fish.

I had/have an old aquarium from 15 or so years ago when I kept a few small fish, so I filled it with spring water, added some aqua safe water conditioner (Tetra brand) put the hood on, plugged in my Tetra filter and the next day I went out of town.

My wife let the tank wait 3 days, and started adding plants and fish (without a word to me).

The tank is glass, 10 gallon, 20L/10W/12H and the filter is propper for the size tank.

We went today and bought a heater it desperately needed, and removed the fantail and the goldfish she had in there. I left in the Male Beta, the 5 fancy guppies, and the 5 neon tetras.

My concerns now are the water quality. I don't have (and can't buy for a couple days yet [paintball is expensive]) the test strips and chemicals to determine the PH balance or amonia levels.

I don't want the fish to die, is there anything else I should do until I have the cash for chemicals ?

They seem active and happy. They are eating. The tank temp is fairly steady around 80 degrees...

(Pics to follow soon)

PAC
PACfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Welcome to the forum!
First of all, remove the guppies! Bettas tend to think the colorful tails of guppies are the colorful tails of betta fish, and they'll attack guppies if they get a chance- he might not have attacked the guppies yet, but he probably will.
Neon tetras are fin-nippers- I would remove those as well.

As long as everyone is acting happy, eating regularly, and display no signs of illness whatsoever, then they're probably fine.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Well I can tell you that you're overstocked and that guppies aren't the best tankmates for bettas; but since you've already got them I have no idea what you'd do with them. =/

WAIT! Do you have any plastic storage containers?

If so then take a smaller one, fill it to 7 gallons and deposit the guppies in that. (I say 7 because I don't know the exact minimum gallon per guppy, and 7 is a lucky number. =]) You could keep them in there while you try to do a fish-in cycle for your betta and tetra tank.

I don't know much about fish-in cycling but I do know that you'll need a liquid test kit pronto.

I suggest the API Fresh Water Master Test Kit. They're the most accurate and they're sold at Petsmart and Petco so you're bound to find it if you have a chain petsore nearby. =]

You'll want to do a 20% change when the ammonia almost reashes (just under) 4.0 ppm when you first start out.

Other than that it gets foggy as my goal is to do a fish-less cycle when I get my 5 gal set up in my college apartment. =]

I'd ask members like OldFishLady and Doggyhogg about fish-in cycling. They might know more about it or have a page they can link you to. =]

Also what kind of heater did you buy? There are a lot of unreliable heaters out there. One of them being the tetra submersible. =/ I had that one and the temperature swings like crazy which is really stressful for the fish. =[

Two good heaters are the Marineland Stealth (regular not Pro) and the Hydor Theo. Both of these are sold at Petsmart and Petco as well. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Wallywestisthebest333 pretty much covered it. XD
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Why thank you! =D And I LOVE your new sig. ;]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #6 
PACfish

Thank you for the fast replies.

No signs of illness yet that I can see. No signs of aggresiveness amongst the breeds yet.

The water is slightly cloudy, certainly not the crystal clear of the store.

The heater we bought is a Top Fin 50 Watt submersible.

How many fish are safe to a 10 gallon tank ? She said the guy at PetSmart told her with smaller fish you could put in more...

PAC

EDIT: I'm a noob to the forum thing, how do I get my photobucket pics here for you to see?

Last edited by PACfish; 08-06-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: cause I'm a noob
Old 08-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #7 
XSprinkleFaceX

Copy the link from photobucket (the URL i think?) and from what I've experienced, don't listen to the petstore people...they know as much about fish as I know how to perform heart surgery..I'm a French and Geography major for the record lol. There was a site on here recommended by one of the members that can show how much fish a tank can carry...but not sure where that is.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #8 
PACfish

Testing a photo

PAC
Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #9 
XSprinkleFaceX

It works!
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #10 
PACfish

An update. With a little closer inspection to the other fish (the Betta has been my first concern) those are not guppies she got, they are Zebra Danio.