Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #1 
Yuuki

New betta has cloudy eye. D;

I noticed it somewhat when I got him home yesterday, but it's gotten worse overnight and now it's obvious that it's cloudy eye. He seems healthy aside from this; swimming around the tank, eating and everything.

I've got him in a heated, filtered and fully cycled 5 gallon. What's the best way to treat this? I'm thinking just some aquarium salt and extra water changes first to see if that helps.

He doesn't have a name yet, he's a Halfmoon Doubletail Plakat. You can't see the cloudy eye in the picture, but I added it just becaaaause. =D
Attached Images

Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You have the right idea, increase the water changes, often cloudy eyes are a result of injury and they need clean water to heal, I personally would wait on the salt, however, it would not hurt at dosage of 1tsp/gal.
If treating in the 5g I would do daily water changes of 50% for a 3-4 days and see if it clear up and then QT and do a 10 day salt treatment.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #3 
Yuuki

Okay, I'll just do daily water changes for now.

I'm thinking maybe it's just stress causing this, or dirty water from the pet store cup. I was thinking an injury at first, but now it's clearly showing up on the other eye too.

Guess I'll go ahead and get my 2.5 gallon up as a hospital tank. Hopefully water changes are all he needs though. D:
Old 08-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #4 
Dead Sunlight

The cloudy eye IMO/E would most likely be from the dirty petstore water (Dag nab petstores, get off ur bum and clean the water!). Yes, as OFL said, it's possible due to injury, but becauses its showing on the other, yes its the water.

You've got everything going great, increaced water changes are a good idea.
I like to do 100% water changes every week with 50-75% water changes 2-3 times a week.

If u wish to add salt, pre-mix it first. I would also lay off salt, but it would never hurt to do so.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #5 
Yuuki

I won't use the aquarium salt unless I have to. I'll give it around 5 days. If his eyes aren't any better, or if they get worse, I'll go for the salt treatment.

Haha, doesn't seem to be bothering the fish though. He seems really happy. :)
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #6 
Dead Sunlight

IME You doen't need to use salt at all. Sure, it would help but IME water changes r all u need:)

I have lots of homemade treatments but the best medicine is plenty of clean dechlorinated water:)
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #7 
derpmeister

He is very pretty. Like the others, I would do some large frequent water changes. I hope he gets better soon.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #8 
SilverCaracal

I agree. If the eye's not swollen (pop eye), then I would just go with daily water changes.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #9 
Yuuki

Already seems to be getting better. The first eye that became cloudy only has a little spot of cloud in it now.

I'll continue doing around 40% changes daily until they both totally clear up.

To my surprise.... without the cloudy eye in the way, he's got blue eyes!