Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #11 
Sarada

Hrm there are a few things I do not do or totally agree with, like filters in my 5 gallons. I find that my boys don't like it and seem healthier and less stressed without them. They bite their fins when they have a filter and my filters were as gentle as possible.
But I am very anal about my water changes...
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #12 
JKfish

- Don't even think about putting schooling fish in with a betta in anything less than a 10 gallon, otherwise they won't have room to get away from one another.

- bamboo is not an aquatic plant. If you insist on using it in your tank, don't submerge anything above the leaves.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

IMO

1.5 gallons should be the ABSOLUTE minimum and quite honestly even that shouldn't be long term. Remember when getting a tank that your gravel, heater, filter, plants, and decorations detract from the actual volume of water the tank holds. The smallest tank that I would consider acceptable for long term is 2.5 gallons.

Heaters are a necessity. The only exception would be members who live in tropical environments. 76*F (24.4*C) should be the minimum temperature to keep bettas.

Plenty of hiding spaces should be provided. Take caution against anything that could tear the fish's fins. Personally I think plastic plants are fine as long as you thoroughly test them out prior to adding the fish.

Regardless of whether you cycle or not EVERYONE should have an appropriate test kit. 99% of the posts in the betta emergency section could be avoided by simply keeping an eye on your water parameters. Along with that appropriate water changes should be done.

When it comes to tankmates think of what will make the fish happiest instead of what you would like to see. Acceptable tank mates should be mid/low dwelling fish, snails, or shrimp. Keep the husbandry needs of EVERY animal in your tank in mind. What works for bettas may not work for other species.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I think that if you place strict standard and expectation on people that it would cause them to go elsewhere or afraid to ask for help because they don't meet the standard. Or worse, lie..just so they fit in and you can't help a person when they lie or at least it make it harder.

There are all level of fish keeping and if a person is made to feel that because they don't have a certain tank or certain test kits, conditioner etc... that they can't be a member here or are a bad fish keeper.

As with anything that is a hobby there are many levels, not everyone can afford all the stuff that some people feel a hobbyist should have.

I think that a forum should promote good fish keeping habits- not fish keeping stuff...this is to encourage a new hobbyist to grow and learn and then one day get all the stuff and know how to use and understand it.

You crawl before you walk and walk before you run and if a person is expected to run in the beginning then they may quit before they fail.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #15 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I think that if you place strict standard and expectation on people that it would cause them to go elsewhere or afraid to ask for help because they don't meet the standard. Or worse, lie..just so they fit in and you can't help a person when they lie or at least it make it harder.

There are all level of fish keeping and if a person is made to feel that because they don't have a certain tank or certain test kits, conditioner etc... that they can't be a member here or are a bad fish keeper.

As with anything that is a hobby there are many levels, not everyone can afford all the stuff that some people feel a hobbyist should have.

I think that a forum should promote good fish keeping habits- not fish keeping stuff...this is to encourage a new hobbyist to grow and learn and then one day get all the stuff and know how to use and understand it.

You crawl before you walk and walk before you run and if a person is expected to run in the beginning then they may quit before they fail.......

I know the hearts of people here on the forum are in the right place, but I have to agree 100% with OFL. I think these "strict" rules of betta keeping could possibly scare people away or, worse yet, keep them from asking for help.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

I don't think Admin is saying that we are going to have rules for how bettas are kept. There are going to be rules for keeping members from advocating certain care..

For instance no one would want us to advocate keeping bettas in 1/2 gallon containers (long term I mean) or keeping male/female or male/male tanks.. no one is saying you CAN"T do that.. but we shouldn't advocate that.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I don't think Admin is saying that we are going to have rules for how bettas are kept. There are going to be rules for keeping members from advocating certain care..

For instance no one would want us to advocate keeping bettas in 1/2 gallon containers (long term I mean) or keeping male/female or male/male tanks.. no one is saying you CAN"T do that.. but we shouldn't advocate that.
When Admin. sets rules on what I can or cannot say-then I will go some place else....I have the right to my opinion and if it is not welcome here I am sure it will be welcome on another forum..........
Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #18 
Kokonoko

Yea, I'd have to disagree with that as well 1fish2fish. I'm knew to this forum inparticular, but throughout my forum history generally things that are frowned upon (like you suggest) are also going to natural deter people from advocating things int he first place. In effect, the forums nature from there deters people from doing such, but still allows the freedom of speech OF such. I mean, if you were on a really popular forum that was all about "Making Icecream!" and someone clown said "well I think you should make ice cream in tempretures of a 100+", do you really think that person would hold much sway in the first place? Or even recognition? *Shrugs*

From saying that though my own thoughts on this subject are that it shouldn't be listed as a set list of rules that -must- be followed or advocated. Perhaps this has been worded wrong, or interpreted incorrectly, from us all from the begining. It should be more read that this is a way to 'standardized' what the general consenses is. That way we don't have new comers torn between 2 opposing opinions that both seem correct.

For instance, if we have group A constantly saying "Do this" and group B is saying "Do this", it can become frustrating for a new person to pick a side, especially when having little to no previous experience to begin with. This with simple turn the colors Black and White to a gray. This middle ground is essential, imo. Although it should be stated somewhere that while this meets the the criteria (notice I didn't say "the proper" or "the correct" way, seeing as there are multiple 'correct' or 'proper' way) it is not the only way to effectively care for a betta fish, but a damn good way to start.

Other then that, Wally has a very good start to producing an adequite way of caring for a betta!

With gallon size, I think minimum should be 1.5, and prefered 2g (as according to most, if not all, X-gallon per fish rules)

Last edited by Kokonoko; 08-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #19 
Kittles

Oldfishlady, I do love you. Earlier, I was debating whether or not to make a post much in the same vein as yours, but was too hesitant and wasn't sure how to properly approach the situation. That said, I think you've said everything beautifully and make a really important point: this isn't a black and white issue.

As a community, we should work towards helping people with what they have. To provide appropriate advice and information that is specific to their situation - not apply a finite 'standard' to all scenarios by which to judge. There will always be a difference of opinion, and it should be accepted, respected.

The fact is, a betta can thrive or suffer in a half gallon of water the same way it can thrive or suffer in five, ten, or twenty-five gallons. It's not so much the volume of water as it is the expected maintenance that matters. Obviously, smaller volumes require more strict upkeep, but if one is managing then who are we to criticize proper care?

Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Well said Kittles......