Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #71 
1fish2fish

I can put up pictures of pop eye, fin rot, tail biting, and I think I may have some pictures of Ich and velvet (from this horrible summer I've had!). If I stalked Freddie enough I could probably even capture him in the act of biting.. but that would require 24 hour surveillance on my part LOL
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #72 
Ashkeldir

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
Again, there's more than one way to keep a fish and some are just as valid as others. My hope is that, whatever information makes it into the stickies (and hopefully said information will be as inclusive of varying, legitimate viewpoints as possible without being so wordy no one would read it), members would still be free from hostility when providing advice that may not agree with what's available in the stickies.

As an example, there is still a lot of debate surrounding the usefulness (or perceived usefulness) of activated carbon in freshwater filters. Both sides of the debate have strong arguments and, to my knowledge, there is no clear cut winner. Now, if the general consensus is that activated carbon is useful, I wouldn't be opposed to that sort of information finding its way into a care sticky but I would certainly be upset if, after making a post explaining why I believe activated carbon is essentially worthless outside of a few specific applications, someone came along and said, "well, the stickies say you're wrong." That's the sort of fear I think myself and others have expressed, so I just want to reiterate my distaste for stickies being used in that sort of way.
This is exactly why I think any dissertation should list any and all accepted 'standards' in use by any experienced member of this website. And I guess that's what you're saying as well.

One way that I can see working is to list the most widely accepted things first, per category (like minimum tank size, where most people at least agree that 2g should be the barest minimum, yes?) and expound on that, explaining why bigger tanks are better, etc - and in a category where there is no clear cut winner, for example, as you mentioned 'activated carbon in freshwater filters', mention at the start of the 'category' that most of the evidence appears to be subject to opinion, and that we invite the reader to read both sides of the 'argument' so they can decide for themselves.
Ashkeldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #73 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I can put up pictures of pop eye, fin rot, tail biting, and I think I may have some pictures of Ich and velvet (from this horrible summer I've had!). If I stalked Freddie enough I could probably even capture him in the act of biting.. but that would require 24 hour surveillance on my part LOL
Sounds like you need a game camera on Freddie's tank!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #74 
Mike

Hi guys,

I agree that improving our stickies is a better course than establishing any kind of "official" minimum standard of care. I agree with the sentiment that each substantive forum should have a relevant sticky or two and that they should be formatted to make them as accessible as possible.

Please take a look at this draft for the new general betta care sticky and share any thoughts you may have about how it can be improved. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...sh-care-49160/

Once this sticky is squared away we will move on to the sticky for the Betta Fish Disease and Emergencies forum, for which we've already received some great submissions.

After that we will revisit stickies for the Betta Fish Compatibility and Breeding Betta Fish forums.

Thanks, everyone.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #75 
Ashkeldir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Please take a look at this draft for the new general betta care sticky and share any thoughts you may have about how it can be improved. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...sh-care-49160/
Well done!

There are a few things I would change, but mostly because I have done some proofreading in my time and would change sentence structure in a few places. But - it is fine - I'm just being picky! :P

There is one thing missing though - the spot where you mention the link doesn't have a link there - or is that because you're waiting until after the new article is written?
Ashkeldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #76 
bloo97

Quote:
A 2.5 gallon or larger aquarium
This is arguable, but I have a 1 gallon bowl that Dragon lived in for most of his life so far, and so did Bloo, Lucky and Cosmo. They were all very happy.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #77 
Adastra

For the temperature bit, you might want to give people a more specific acceptable range, rather than "around 77 degrees"--different people may interpret the word "around" more loosely than others. I suggest altering it to "a stable temperature within the range of 77-83 degrees"--that way the person gets a feel for how hot is too hot as well as how cold is too cold.

A lot of people also don't realize that nonadjustable heaters don't have a thermostat. I think it's important to impress upon people the value of a heater with an adjustable temperature dial, since often mini heaters don't get the water hot enough, overheat the water, and don't keep the water stable. Incandescent bulbs over the aquarium along with one of these non-adjustable heaters have caused a lot of harm to fish over the years. 25 watt adjustable heaters are only a few dollars more, but provide the fishkeeper with much more security and control over their fish's environment.

To accommodate the beliefs of users like bloo97 you could put a small note under the 2.5G tank requirement. Here's an example:

**In some cases, containers under two gallons are acceptable, but due to the fact that smaller containers are much more challenging to keep clean, heat properly, and provide the fish with environmental enrichment, we recommend larger containers to new fishkeepers and encourage everyone to house their betta in the largest container they can manage.

I wish that were a bit shorter, but I think you get my drift.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-16-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #78 
wallywestisthebest333

Wow!!! An FAQ re-write! =D This is awesome! =]

I agree that there should be a note that 1 gallons are acceptable if the proper care is given to them.

I also wanted to give a critique of my own:

"so if you opt for a filter for your tank, be sure to get one with very low flow."

I think this should either be re-worded or that a note should be included to say that any filter is acceptable however as long as it is size-appropriate for the tank. If your filter is size-appropriate and the flow is still too strong then measures can be taken to baffle the filter and lower it's flow.

I'd also like to see some pictures! =]

Other than that I think it's great! =] I can't wait to see how the final write-up of this upgrade looks! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #79 
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
This is arguable, but I have a 1 gallon bowl that Dragon lived in for most of his life so far, and so did Bloo, Lucky and Cosmo. They were all very happy.
That's why I began the sticky with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator
While people have reported success with different methods of keeping betta fish, the below represents a way that is regarded by many as a way to maximize your betta's health and well being.
I also did include a note about water changes for a 1 - 2 gallon tank in the maintenance portion of the sticky. To be sure the sticky makes it clear that bettas can be kept in smaller containers, though, I've added a blurb to the first post similar to the one Adastra recommended

Quote:
* Some fish keepers have success with containers smaller than 2.5 gallons. However, such containers require more maintenance, are difficult to heat properly, and do not allow much room for decorating or enriching the betta fish's environment. See the Betta Fish Habitat portion of this sticky for details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
For the temperature bit, you might want to give people a more specific acceptable range, rather than "around 77 degrees"--different people may interpret the word "around" more loosely than others. I suggest altering it to "a stable temperature within the range of 77-83 degrees"--that way the person gets a feel for how hot is too hot as well as how cold is too cold.
Thanks, I changed the instances of "around 77 degrees" to "within the range of 77 - 83 degrees Fahrenheit".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
A lot of people also don't realize that nonadjustable heaters don't have a thermostat. I think it's important to impress upon people the value of a heater with an adjustable temperature dial, since often mini heaters don't get the water hot enough, overheat the water, and don't keep the water stable. Incandescent bulbs over the aquarium along with one of these non-adjustable heaters have caused a lot of harm to fish over the years. 25 watt adjustable heaters are only a few dollars more, but provide the fishkeeper with much more security and control over their fish's environment.
I had touched upon that point and said

Quote:
NOTE: You should make sure that any heater you get accounts for the temperature of the aquarium water or else it may continue to heat it well past the desired temperature. This is a basic feature, but one that we discovered not every mini heater has. If you're looking for a mini heater, also make sure that it is capable of heating your aquarium water the requisite number of degrees to bring it within the range of 77 - 83 degrees Fahrenheit.
but I've made it clearer as per your suggestion

Quote:
*NOTE: You should make sure that any heater you get has a thermostat that allows you to set the desired temperature and accounts for the actual temperature of the aquarium water. Otherwise, the heater may not make the water warm enough, may make it too warm, or may allow the temperature to fluctuate, none of which is good for your betta fish. Unfortunately, many mini heaters lack this basic feature. However, the smallest adjustable heaters are only a few dollars more than mini heaters, and are well worth it for your betta's health and your peace of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Wow!!! An FAQ re-write! =D This is awesome! =]

I agree that there should be a note that 1 gallons are acceptable if the proper care is given to them.

I also wanted to give a critique of my own:

"so if you opt for a filter for your tank, be sure to get one with very low flow."

I think this should either be re-worded or that a note should be included to say that any filter is acceptable however as long as it is size-appropriate for the tank. If your filter is size-appropriate and the flow is still too strong then measures can be taken to baffle the filter and lower it's flow.

I'd also like to see some pictures! =]

Other than that I think it's great! =] I can't wait to see how the final write-up of this upgrade looks! =]
Thanks, wallywestisthebest333. I changed the blurb about filters to

Quote:
While not considered strictly necessary for betta fish, a filter can help keep aquarium water clean. Betta fish should have very little water movement in a tank, so if you opt for a filter for your tank, make sure it has a very low flow. You can ensure a low flow by either getting a filter rated for a smaller tank, "baffling" a filter to restrict its rate of flow, or both.
What does everyone think of the changes? Are there any other changes you would recommend?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #80 
Kokonoko

The draft looks amazing o.o
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote