Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #1 
LMac54

Done cycling my 10gal! Now what?

So I finally figured out my cycling problem and now my 10 gal is ready. Ammonia and Nitrites at 0. Nitrates are still super high, but I still need to do my "big" water change before I add any fish. Nitrates have to be at around 15ppm to start adding fish, right?

This tank is divided for 3 fish. Should I add my fish one at a time every certain number of days? Or can I just add all 3 in at once?

Now that I'm done, how do I maintain the tank after adding my fish? Is it like 25% water change once a week? Something like that?

Subtrate: mix of gravel and sand.
LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #2 
Kittles

If your readings are as you say, you should be fine adding your fish after the water change. You should add them as you've mentioned, though. One at a time over a week or two time span so as to not shock your cycle with an ammonia spike.

As for tank maintenance, base your cleanings on your parameter readings. Test your water once a week and if anything is high: do an appropriately sized water change.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #3 
derpmeister

I would add one fish a week just to be careful. Bettas are generally low-waste fish so it shouldn't be too much of a problem but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Once you have all your fish in, I would suggest 15-20% changes weekly. Keep testing the water frequently and if your parameters are off then do a 10-15% water change.

Best of luck with your new fish.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would add all 3 and monitor the water, don't overfeed and remove any uneaten food after feeding.

Make 50% weekly water changes and substrate vacuuming in all areas you can reach without moving anything.

You want to keep the nitrate in the 5-10ppm range
Ammonia and nitrite under 0.25ppm...0ppm is ideal....

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote