Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #1 
AaryonN

Question about conditioner

I have a 2.5 gallon tank that my Crysis is in, and there is a heater and a filter in it, today i did a 50% water change, and when i was finished i was thinking about putting conditioner in it, but i wasn't sure if i should because there was already some in from the previous time I did a 100% change (Which was yesterday, I did the 50% change so soon because he has fin rot) How much should i put in? if at all, the bottle says 5mL per gallon so i put in 10 mL when i did the 100% change, but what do i do now with the 50% change?
AaryonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #2 
Kittles

Always treat water before adding it to your tank. If the directions say to use 5mL/gallon, and you're adding a gallon of water, add 5mL of conditioner. If you're adding two gallons of water, add 10mL of conditioner, and so on.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

You should have water previously measured and prepared, imo.
I have a 1 galon water container I refill and condition every time I do a water change for my NEXT water change. That way you dont have to worry about how much water you're taking out of the tank. Just prepare the galon of water according to instructions and pour in what you need.

Right now, to solve you're problem, I would add enough to treat 1 galon of water. Take some water out in a cup, add the conditioner and then pour. Don't just use drop the conditioner straight into your tank with the fish in it.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #4 
AaryonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
You should have water previously measured and prepared, imo.
I have a 1 galon water container I refill and condition every time I do a water change for my NEXT water change. That way you dont have to worry about how much water you're taking out of the tank. Just prepare the galon of water according to instructions and pour in what you need.

Right now, to solve you're problem, I would add enough to treat 1 galon of water. Take some water out in a cup, add the conditioner and then pour. Don't just use drop the conditioner straight into your tank with the fish in it.
Is it bad to drop conditioner into the tank with a fish?? What does it do to the fish?
AaryonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

I personally wouldn't do it. I really don't know if it's bad or not but I think a strong concentration of ANYTHING can harm the fish. With bettas being as curious as they are he will probably swim right under your hand when you're adding the conditioner and that can't be good.
Anytime I have to add something straight to the tank (eg. medications, salt, IAL extract) I first get some of the tank water in a cup, add the liquid, stir and THEN pour in the tank.
Depending on what it is I will use to cups, one in each hand, and mix both together before returning the water to the tank.
It's always better to be safe than sorry.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #6 
Kittles

Some conditioners say you can add them directly to the tank. I don't think it's harmful, just more of a necessity to have it already done, or something.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote