Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #1 
PeiMai

Bad luck or Bum Fish?

I recently got on this board (today) I went out got myself a two gallon tank with a filter hood and light and moved my fish to his new digs. He made it about 3-4 hours.
When I got him yesterday from Petsmart he seemed lethargic. Water temp was at 75-76F. There was food at the bottom of his cup I tried to feed him this morning with the same food they feed the fish there to no avail. He died tonight and I have no idea why this is the 4th fish from there that has died I had them originally in a 1/2 gal tank and was changing the water regularly.
I figured the new larger filtered tank would be better. No such luck. Can someone, please, tell me what I am doing wrong?
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiMai View Post
I recently got on this board (today) I went out got myself a two gallon tank with a filter hood and light and moved my fish to his new digs. He made it about 3-4 hours.
When I got him yesterday from Petsmart he seemed lethargic. Water temp was at 75-76F. There was food at the bottom of his cup I tried to feed him this morning with the same food they feed the fish there to no avail. He died tonight and I have no idea why this is the 4th fish from there that has died I had them originally in a 1/2 gal tank and was changing the water regularly.
I figured the new larger filtered tank would be better. No such luck. Can someone, please, tell me what I am doing wrong?
How do you do your waterchanges?
Can you give us a detailed description of your method?

Also How was your fish acting and how did it look before it died?

Also I'm going to bed now but I'll be sure to comment on this tomorrow afternoon if no one has gotten to it. =]

I'm pretty sure though that if you give us a detailed description of how you do your waterchanges and how often then we can get an idea of what happened.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #3 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
How do you do your waterchanges?
Can you give us a detailed description of your method?
Sure at first I was told to do 100% water changes...although later at the same shop I was told 50%. I used a piece of air line to syphin the water out. Then was told that this was no good and that everything had to be rinsed out thoroughly so I did that....each and every time the fish has died. This time, however, he never even made it to a water change he died the second night I had him. I used the Bettasplendid Complete Water conditionerand the top fin bacteria supplement as advised on the bottle and by the local shop...Dead fish.
I never even got him to eat.:(

P.S. I now have a 2 gallon tank with and under gravel filter and a carbon attachment for the top of the tube. very low flow.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #4 
Kokonoko

What Wally said is exactly right, but if I'm to understand what you said, you had only had the fish for less then maybe 2 days before it died? And a few other fish that have alo ended up dead within the first few days? If so, without further information I could only guess that you're not adding a water conditioner (That removes the chlorine from our water).

but yea, again, what Wally said =D
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #5 
PeiMai

yeah I guess we were typing at the same time . check the last post listed what conditioner I used.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #6 
PeiMai

ok so here is my game plan for tomorrow/today. Im going to a different store. getting a test kit and some ammonia and try cycling the tank and start setting up the 10 gallon that my neighbor was nice enough to give to me and start that cycling as well.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #7 
RandomFish

Based on my experience only, I'm going to venture to say that there's something wrong with those fish. When I was given my first few betta fish, I didn't know anything about them and gave them way worse care than you did but they lived for an average of two years. They all came from some seller/breeder in Chinatown.

Good luck though! Congrats on scoring a 10-gallon :)
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #8 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFish View Post
Based on my experience only, I'm going to venture to say that there's something wrong with those fish. When I was given my first few betta fish, I didn't know anything about them and gave them way worse care than you did but they lived for an average of two years. They all came from some seller/breeder in Chinatown.

Good luck though! Congrats on scoring a 10-gallon :)

I agree! Based on what you told us, I would have to say bad fish since you got them all at the same place.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #9 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I agree! Based on what you told us, I would have to say bad fish since you got them all at the same place.
If it was one fish I could believe that if it was two fish ok maybe three wish come on this place can't be that bad....but FOUR fish?!?! Everyone of them bad....it's ridiculous. Anyways I'm trying to figure out what I should do from here. There are two other petshops in the area one is locally owned the other is Petco. Coach me guys I've been looking at pictures of all of your fish and am well....Jealous. Should I just let the tank cycle with some ammonia in it and wait and watch the levels?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #10 
sebamd

I'm a newbie too on the care of Betta's but you either got bad luck and keep picking the sick ones on the store or your problem is another contaminant on the water, maybe heavy metals. Do you check the Ph before putting them in? My gf's previous betta died because she forgot to check the Ph and it was too alkaline for the fish (over 7.8) resulting on it dying overnight. Remember, I play by ear here. :P
sebamd is offline   Reply With Quote