Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #1 
Kokonoko

High PH, how?

So, i got a test kit today that reads: Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Alkalinity(??) and hardness. It uses strips, first off, which I'm unsure if those are accurate (well, it says it is scientific on the bottle...), but when I tested my water I came up with readers like this.

Tank Water:
Nitritre - 0
Nitrate - 0
PH - 7.6+

The water from my faucet is almost -right- around a Ph level of 7.0. I just did a 40% water change today as well. I don't understand how this is possible. Because of my doubt to, I used my other Ph tester kit (on ly test ph, liquid tester) and it also confirmed that the PH in my tank was rather high, and my tap water is right around 7.0! This is almost to frustrating!

PS: Also wanted to say that the PH level of a gallon bottle of spring water I bought today was also high! ARGH!!!

Last edited by Kokonoko; 08-07-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #2 
Neelie

PH of 7.6 is ok. mine is constant 7.8 and mine are doing great.
id only ever worry about ammonia in an uncycled tank.

dont worry bout PH that much ;)
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #3 
Lion Mom

Don't know why the ph in your tank would be higher than the ph coming out of your tap. Something in the tank raising it? Shells, perhaps?

And the ph in the tank isn't too high - mine is 8 and my boys are doing fine. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #4 
Kokonoko

Ok, sweet. Yea I know not to get to flustered about the PH levels, but I'd still rather have it lower. Oh well! The tanks still relatively knew as well so I'll give it a few more water exchanges before taking the results to seriously.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

To get an accurate pH reading you need to let it gas out for 24 hours, pour a clean glass of water, add an airstone and re-check the pH in 24 hour and then compare this number with the tank water pH.
This will tell you if something in the tank is causing the pH change.

And you are right...don't stress over the pH, a stable pH is safer than swings caused by changing the pH with chemicals.
Most fish adjust to our source water pH without any problems...but those sudden changes can be stressful and deadly. And when you make water changes you need to adjust the new water pH and this can be work without the proper buffers....especially in small tank that need frequent water changes

Also-pH does not always mean you have hard water, you need to get your KH/GH readings for this.
If you feel that you need the pH changed I would do some research on pH, KH, GH
And remember that due to being farm raised our fish have not seen their native pH-GH-KH anyway.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #6 
Kokonoko

Thank you very much! *Bows* I'll be researching on that more then, if for nothing else then atleast I'll have the knowledge for future occasions.