Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #1 
KLeighS

what do you think of this tank?

its 2.65 gallons, dinosaur themed decor! Hahaha. :) It will make little boys and few teenage girls very happy. :) I just gotta get a heater, and it will forever more be a betta tank. ;)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3806241

What do you think of this heater? Or is there a better one out there, hopefully under $20..

http://www.petco.com/product/102429/...t=OnSiteSearch

or would this heater be better?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3792732

Once Chirstmas comes, and I get more money (or my parents buy it for me)...IT SHALL BE MINE. :D

Last edited by KLeighS; 08-08-2010 at 12:38 AM.
KLeighS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #2 
doggyhog

The second heater is MUCH better! Promise!

That's a cute tank!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #3 
KLeighS

Haha...I can't wait to get the tank. Lol. :D

Yeahh..second would be better, espically since it kinda regulates the temp, so it stays 78, no matter the temp of the house...
Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #4 
kikuhoshi

My five-year-old-self is both squeeing and being reassured by my current self ("THAT'S NOT LITTLEFOOT, RIGHT??!"), haha. I love it. :) If I had the room & found another fish, I'd get it, too. :)

ETA: I have two of the first heater, and I see no problem with them. They keep my tank near 80*F, even without the heat lights on (and before anyone asks, I had two because I moved my fish from dorm to home every week, and it was easier to just have a heater for each tank). My house is also consistently set to 75*F during the day, and 70*F at night (which is when I cover it). :)

Last edited by kikuhoshi; 08-08-2010 at 09:54 AM.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #5 
KLeighS

I'm upgrading one of my fish. He's stuck in a one gal. its all I've been able to afford..buut, for christmas, most of my aunts and uncles just send money ;D soooo...I just gotta wait a few months...and have lots and lots of patience, then I shall have what I want. :)

As for the heater, I'm still not sure, I think I may try the first one out, and if it stays around 78-80* then I'm gonna keep it.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #6 
Adastra

You should really get one that's adjustable that has a thermostat. I started out with hydor minis and was really dissatisfied with them because all they do is raise the water temperature a few degrees based on the ambient temperature of the room. In the winter they didn't heat the water enough, and in the summer they got the water too hot. Most importantly, they don't keep the temperature stable or give you any control. When fish come down with certain illnesses, it's very important to be able to raise or lower the temperature depending on what's causing him to be sick.

I use and recommend these heaters: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368

I had a similar tank once, it was awkward to clean because it bows inward, so the corners can collect a lot of gunk that's hard to clean out--other than that, it's a good shape that maximizes swimming space. Mine came with a submersible filter that was too strong and tended to knock my betta around a lot, so I took it out. I think some nice tropical plants would look nice with your dinosaur theme. :) Just make sure you fill up any small holes in the ornament, I saw a thread in another forum of a fish getting stuck in a similar dinosaur skull.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-09-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #7 
KLeighS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
would 25 watts be to much for 2 and a half gallons? or just fine, since you have to monitor it and its adjustable.

Quote:
I had a similar tank once, it was awkward to clean because it bows inward, so the corners can collect a lot of gunk that's hard to clean out--other than that, it's a good shape that maximizes swimming space.
would a regular kitchen sponge be alright? I could get it into the corners easier. I can go buy some from the dollar tree, and soak em in hot water before using them.

Quote:
Mine came with a submersible filter that was too strong and tended to knock my betta around a lot, so I took it out. I think some nice tropical plants would look nice with your dinosaur theme. :) Just make sure you fill up any small holes in the ornament, I saw a thread in another forum of a fish getting stuck in a similar dinosaur skull.
I think I'm gonna see how strong the current is, and could I try to baffle it? And I've got a orange, red, yellow, and green tropical looking plant. Its sushi's plant. He's had it since I got him. He has his plant with him at all times. Well, almost since I have to clean it...

Last edited by KLeighS; 08-09-2010 at 04:06 PM.