Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #1 
Wildfire

Unhappy Is The Water In My Tank Too Hot??

I checked this morning with my thermometer, and it said the water was about 80 degrees. Then I added in my betta at night (because I was letting the water sit for 24 hours) and then he was suddenly extremely, extremely active.

At first, I figured it was a good thing - he seemed to be exploring every single nook and cranny of the place! Swimming between columns and everything! But then I remembered that I had read somewhere that you can tell if your betta is too cold if it moves very sluggishly through the water. You can tell if it's too hot if it darts around being very active. Is this true? I need to get another heating... apparatus, because I've heard bad things about the heating pad... though I'm not sure if I can even get one. (I don't have a credit card, and my mom is very, very paranoid about using her credit card, and Petco is quite far..)

Anyway, to summarize: if my betta is swimming around a lot, does that mean he's too hot?
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #2 
Kittles

If you just moved him into the tank he could just be exploring. If the temperature is only 80F there's no way he's too hot. They can comfortably withstand temperatures up to 85F.

If the behavior continues and remains constant, then you should start to become suspicious. For right now, though, I'd consider it normal.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #3 
Wildfire

I hope that's the case.. I'll let him be for a while, then.
I know it's not the greatest way to judge, but do you think a current that makes this many bubbles is a filter that creates too strong a current?:
Old 08-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #4 
Wildfire

It's been about 14 hours - this morning I checked up on him, and at first he seemed fine, but then I turned on the light and now he's swimming really quickly, and almost jerkily ):
Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #5 
SilverCaracal

I think he should be fine. Ares has a constant tank temperature of 83 degrees...
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #6 
Campbell

I have a fish who I've had about a month, and he almost always swims jerky and odd. It might just be how some prefer to swim. I know with him it isn't too hot because the tank is unheated. When he's "calm" he swims normally, but when he sees me or one of the other fish move he freaks.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #7 
Wildfire

Okay, great. (:
I'm really worried about my filter, though. I dropped in two pellets of food, and it was lost in the bubbles that the filter creates..
Old 08-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #8 
Wildfire

Also, is 80 - 85 degrees okay, or is that too hot?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #9 
Ajones108

It's fine, but don't let the temperature go any higher than 85. 80 is a perfect temperature. Most people keep it at around 80 because if an illness or something occurs they can bump the temperature up a few degrees to help with healing and slow down the illness. So its good to keep it around 80. :) Hope that made sense, I had a hard time phrasing it. lol
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #10 
Wildfire

Nah, that was perfect. (: Also, when you change the water in your betta's tank, where do you keep him while the water's being changed?