Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #11 
brittanybelike

That's a good question, I've always kept my bettas in a small plastic bowl filled with the water in the aquarium. I do a 100% water change and drop the little guy into the clean water along with the cup of old water, I'm not sure if thats what were suppose to do, but I didn't want to shock my betta with the new water he was being stored in while i clean the tank, and then the new water in the freshly cleaned tank.
brittanybelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #12 
Wildfire

Do you ever have to keep him in the little plastic bowl overnight?
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #13 
Kokonoko

Depends on the size of the plastic bowel I suppose <.< If its like 16 ounces... I wouldn't do that personally. Thats -incredibly- small for a fish to take shelter in for over 10 hours, if you have NO other options... then I guess it would have to do? Just wouldn't leave him in there longer then 30 minutes. Imagine how cramped you might be locked in a closet =O *Shrugs*

Although I'm not sure why it would take you that long to clean it anyhow though o.o. For myself, I keep Riddle in my 1 gallon bowl while cleaning his tank.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #14 
Wildfire

Nah, I was just curious, just in case. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do 100% changes.. the filter is underneath the gravel, and so is the heating pad, so I have to rearrange all that before I can get all the water out. Or maybe I'm overthinking it, I'm not sure.

Hmm.. I have a 2 gallon tank.. maybe 50% changes once a week, then a 100% change once or twice a month..? I don't have a gravel vacuum..
Old 08-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #15 
AaryonN

You should probably invest in a grabel vaccum :P
Have you cycled your tank? If you have, you shouldn't have to do 100% changes anymore once you get a gravel vaccum.
I'm going to get one tomorrow.
AaryonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #16 
Ajones108

I always scoop my betta up in his store-bought cup while I do 100% changes. I do the change swiftly and then I float his cup to adapt temperature. Dump some water from cup, add new water, float that... Then after one more time of this and floating the cup, I don't have a net and I don't like to use them, so I make sure my hands are clean, tilt the cup enough to pour him back into the tank, but instead I kind of scoop him with my hand and he does the small leap from the cup to the tank, not pouring but a few drops of the cup water in the tank. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #17 
kikuhoshi

You're sure those are filter bubbles? It almost looks like a bubble nest to me, even with the big ones, as I've had bubbles morph together on me before.

I used to keep mine in his store cup, until it cracked one day. Now, he stays in a tupperware container until the change is complete, then I let his acclimate, and then I scoop him out and put him in the fully changed water. :)

And I try to keep mine around 80*F, though a usual fluctuation of 78*F - 82*F is normal over a while. The only time I ever had an issue was when a friend of mine decided that his water felt too cold (~78*F), and unknowingly plugged in his heater while I was at dinner (5PM). I got back after my class (1030PM) and his tank had gotten up to 96*F. I was scared that he'd been boiled, but he survived. I definitely do NOT recommend it AT ALL, though.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #18 
Wildfire

Turns out it is a bubble nest. :P I got that cleared up. And gosh, betta fish cost so much money! I'll have to grab a gravel vacuum then, I guess... and how do you cycle a tank?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #19 
Wildfire

Oh! Hold up - instead of a gravel vacuum, could I use a turkey baster? That's what I'm hearing, and it would be a lot easier finding a turkey baster at my local Shop Rite as opposed to driving all the way out to Petco and getting a gravel vacuum.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

A turkey baster will work just fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote