Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

The bacteria that cycle the tank require a steady oxygen source to thrive and colonize, without some type of filtration the bacteria are limited in numbers. Also, the filter media gives the bacteria a good place to live and do their job.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #12 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
Is it possible for a tank without a filter to cycle?
Sorry, no. The bacteria needs the oxygen the filter provides in order to grow.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #13 
Sarada

Well then wouldn't a small air stone do the trick? I'm just curious because my two 5 gallon tanks are not cycled and not filtered. My fish seem happier without filters. When I had sponge filters in they both were tearing their fins apart, without filter they don't.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #14 
Lion Mom

That I don't know about since I never use air stones - sorry!

If your fish are happier without the filters & you are good about the needed water changes, why change what you are doing?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #15 
Sarada

I was just thinking for future use seeing as how I just ordered a test kit.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #16 
PeiMai

ok so I'm back from the shop got the tank refilled with tap water used Prime conditioner and tested pH was about 6.8-ish used a spot of the pH up from the test kit waiting to see if it levels it off to 7.0 and letting the filter run for a few days to see how things go. Should I use the bacteria supplement that I have?
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
Well then wouldn't a small air stone do the trick? I'm just curious because my two 5 gallon tanks are not cycled and not filtered. My fish seem happier without filters. When I had sponge filters in they both were tearing their fins apart, without filter they don't.
Yes, the airstone or sponge filters will help to keep a cycle by providing the needed oxygen the bacteria need, however, with just airstone it limits sites for the bacteria to colonize.
In Betta only tanks with proper care (that I know you give), sometimes can do better without any added aeration/oxygenation, so true that often the water movement alone can be a cause of shred/torn fins on some of our delicate Bettas fins...
Some benefits of cycled tanks are a reduced number of water changes and percent of water changed in a stable cycled tank and this can also give you a bit of wiggle room when life happens.
Regardless of cycle/filtration- it does not change the need for regular water changes in closed systems
The right kind and number of active growing aquatic plants can also help in maintaining water quality
Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #18 
Kittles

Quote:
used a spot of the pH up
I wouldn't worry about your pH level as your fish will almost always adapt. In fact, adjusting your pH is, more often than not, hazardous.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiMai View Post
ok so I'm back from the shop got the tank refilled with tap water used Prime conditioner and tested pH was about 6.8-ish used a spot of the pH up from the test kit waiting to see if it levels it off to 7.0 and letting the filter run for a few days to see how things go. Should I use the bacteria supplement that I have?
Also, to test you source water pH-you need to let it gas out for 24 hours to get an accurate reading. Draw a glass of your source water, add an airstone and re-check the pH in 24h and compare this number to your tank water. This can also help you find out if something in your tank is causing the pH differences, like gravel, decorations, shells...etc.....

I would not change the pH with chemicals, a stable pH is much safer than pH swings that can be deadly to fish. Most fish will adjust to your source water pH without any problems. You then will also have to get the pH changed with any new water with water changes to avoid swings and in a 2g tank IMO/E to maintain good water quality-it will need twice weekly 50% water changes once cycled.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #20 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiMai View Post
You got good advise about the ph business - let it be. Your fish will adapt.

As far as the supplement goes, I don't know. I hear the vast majority of them don't work, but maybe somebody with more experience with those will be along to answer.

BTW, what brand bacteria supplement is it?