Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #1 
brittanybelike

Betta stopped eating?

hello and thank you for reading my thread,

I received my little betta about 2 weeks ago from a friend at work. He was cute and appeared healthy, but since i've gotten him, his fins seemed to be stuck down and he won't eat! not at all. i attempt feeding him everyday but he ignores the food so i wait a little and then net it out. it's been 2 weeks without food, i'm so worried. I even bought some frozen blood worms as a treat, still, nothing. he just sits at the top of the tank and hides in the plants all day..

I've began treating his tank with aquarium salt and half dosages of bettafix. I do water changes every day, about 75%. HELP! i Love my betta and don't want him to die!

when i first got him:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1727787_n.jpg

2 weeks later:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2921734_n.jpg

is there anything that stands out that you see could be wrong with him? sorry for the poor photo quality.. :(

-5.5 gallon tank
-filter
-no heater (temp is constant 78 though)
-aquarium salt and SOME bettafix used
-used dechlor prior to putting betta in tank
brittanybelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 
Adastra

I would get a heater for your tank; even though you say the temperature stays around 78 degrees, if that temperature fluctuates for whatever reason it could be putting stress on your fish. I would get a 25 watt heater with an adjustable temperature dial such as this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368 since it will help keep the temperature steady and give you more control.

As for not eating, internal parasites can cause fish to lose their appetite--other symptoms of internal parasites are a distended belly, lethargy, and abnormal feces (stringy, white, or otherwise abnormal). This is just one possibility. Have you seen him poo lately?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #3 
brittanybelike

thanks for the reply, i will definitely have to get a heater for the little guy, i haven't seen him go to the bathroom since i got him, but then again, I have a perfectly healthy betta in another 3 gallon tank and i haven't seen him go either.. do you think i should keep doing daily water changes? the waters gotten a little cloudy too, it's odd.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #4 
Adastra

A 5G tank doesn't generally need daily water changes--but the fact that you're leaving 25% behind every time won't work indefinitely. Every time you change the water you're leaving higher concentrations of ammonia behind in that 25%. Only 100% water changes can get rid of all the ammonia. Generally one 100% change per week is suggested for a 5G tank. I suggest doing one 50% and one 100% water change per week while he is sick--during the 100% change, scrub everything out with hot water. This will ensure that all of the ammonia and ammonia causing debris will be gone, so your ammonia will be under control this way and he won't constantly have to deal with adjusting to new water.

If you have a local fish store, you should ask if they ever carry live blackworms. The wiggly motion they make is often irresistible to even very ill fish. If you manage to acquire any, you should rinse each worm in a little tank water in a separate container right before you give them to your fish. This helps remove the nasties they've been swimming in.

You should try googling pictures of velvet--while it seems obvious that the fish doesn't have ich, velvet can be harder to spot. Usually it's yellow-gold crusty crusty granules that you can see most prominently in between the scales. You may have to darken the room and shine a light on the fish to see it. I doubt that it is velvet, since that generally will not make fish stop eating, but it doesn't hurt to check.

If there is no velvet apparent, you might also look into getting a medication for internal parasites--while I'm not 100% sure that it's internal parasites, treating for them is a lot less harsh than treating for bacterial infections. And if your fish had an internal bacterial infection, he would probably be acting a lot sicker. Make sure the medicine you buy has the ingredient praziquantel in it. I have had some success with Jungle Parasite Clear tabs.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-08-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #5 
brittanybelike

thank you! I live very close to a fish store so I will definitely make the trip over tomorrow morning. Thank you for all your help, hopefully your advice will aid in getting my betta better!

one last thing, if the blackworms aren't successful, do you know of any "vacation feeders" for bettas? It's been so long since he's eaten I'm afraid he isn't getting any nutrition..
Old 08-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #6 
Adastra

If the fish shows no interest in pellets or worms or anything like that, he will certainly not eat a vacation block. Blocks aren't very good for fish, and they don't taste very good compared to pellets, live, and frozen food. They also will pollute the water. If he doesn't eat blackworms, he won't eat anything.

Usually when fish have internal parasites, they lose their appetite pretty quickly. About 4 days into the treatment, they start passing their worms (BIG poops)--after that, they tend to start eating again fairly quickly. Let's hope that's what his problem is.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #7 
brittanybelike

okay thanks i just called and they have that product in stock, I'm so excited, I really hope this works!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope so, too. Good luck!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sits at top of tank, stopped eating