Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #1 
thegameksk

Pelco question

Do pelcos get along with Bettas? Also what size tank do you need for one? I have a bad algae bloom in my tank. I have a split heated/filtered tank with 3 catfish on one side, an algae eater, and the betta. On the other side is a king betta and an algae eater. The catfish arent doing a very good job with the algae. I went to the petstore to get a pelco and they said my tank is too small and to get a different algae eater which I bought but id still like a pelco if possible. I wouldnt mind taking out some of the catfish if I had to.
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

How many gallons is your tank?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #3 
Adastra

It depends, common plecos (short for plecostomus) get huge and are only suitable for large tanks (minimum 55G) or ponds. There are smaller varieties, such as the bristlenose pleco and other dwarf plecos. But these still get to be about 4-5" in length and produce a lot of waste. You will find no better poop machine in the aquarium world than the pleco. Absolute minimum for a dwarf pleco would be 20G undivided, but I would be much more inclined to put them in a 30G.

How big is your tank and what kind of "algae eater" do you have? The chinese algae eater can get quite big, and even when it is small it can do your betta serious harm when it matures. Mature CAEs change from algae eaters to parasitic slime-coat eaters.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #4 
thegameksk

This is the fish I was sold: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...#RatingsDetail. Not sure if its the chinese one or not. One reviewer says it is but the other 2 reviews say it gets along fine with their fish. My tank is a 10 gallon split. What can I get for the algae?
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #5 
TheJadeBetta

You need to take the Algea Eater back, they do get big. Plecos need a minimum of 20 gallons. I suggest some shrimp for the algae problem. Get some ghost they are inexpensive and do a great job IMO.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote