Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #1 
Pixierella

Unhappy One-bubble bubblenest help?

Grr, I've looked everywhere and can't find anything on this subject. My male is trying really hard to make a bubble nest and it's just one big bubble, any suggestions on what to do? I am using half of a styrofoam cup.
Pixierella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #2 
Sarada

There is nothing you can do to MAKE a fish blow a nest :P Some never do. Adding indian almond leave is supposed to encourage spawning so something like that might make the water conditions more suitable and then if he feels like it he will :p
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #3 
Sarada

If there is ANY current in your tank he might not just because of that.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #4 
Pixierella

Unhappy he already is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
There is nothing you can do to MAKE a fish blow a nest :P Some never do. Adding indian almond leave is supposed to encourage spawning so something like that might make the water conditions more suitable and then if he feels like it he will :p
I'm not trying to make him blow a bubblenest, he is blowing a bubble nest. I've been watching him the whole time, he's in a spawning tank with a female in a net breeder. He's trying to, I've seen the bubbles, it's just that they keep melding together after awhile instead of staying seperate like they start out and now it's all one big bubble. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #5 
Kokonoko

I am, by far, a total noob in breeding and have never attempt breeding bettas yet, BUT just out of plan theorizing it could have something to do with the water more then anything else. You would need to isolate possibilities though by providing some info. I'm assuming you know the basics of breeding, and have -possibly(???) breed before.

-Has he been CONDITIONED
-Has he -ever- blown an effective bubblenest?
-Have you recently added something (Chemical, odd item, etc) to the breeding tank that diffirs greatly from the previous tank?
-Is there strong air-currents near by?
-What filter are you using? If not a spong filter, does the outake create to much current?(This shouldn't be the case if you know what you're doing though)
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #6 
Sarada

You can buy something called Betta Spa from Big Als. I have never tried it but it's supposed to help make bubbles stick or something.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #7 
Pixierella

Unhappy the rundown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonoko View Post
I am, by far, a total noob in breeding and have never attempt breeding bettas yet, BUT just out of plan theorizing it could have something to do with the water more then anything else. You would need to isolate possibilities though by providing some info. I'm assuming you know the basics of breeding, and have -possibly(???) breed before.

-Has he been CONDITIONED
-Has he -ever- blown an effective bubblenest?
-Have you recently added something (Chemical, odd item, etc) to the breeding tank that diffirs greatly from the previous tank?
-Is there strong air-currents near by?
-What filter are you using? If not a spong filter, does the outake create to much current?(This shouldn't be the case if you know what you're doing though)
I do have a filter but have it off right now so that the water doesn't disturb the bubbles nest, no, this is my first time breeding and I have 2 spawning tanks going at the same time, everything in the other tank is going well, the males bubblenest is several small bubbles like I am used to seeing and the female has vivid vertical bars as she should. I have done quite a bit of research though. Yes, they've been conditioned. The male I'm referring to is one from Thailand who has been previously conditioned and I think possibly already sexed. I don't want to run the filter until I have a successful spawn and the spawn are free swimming. Even then I may wait til they're a little bigger to turn it back on again. The water is the same as in the other spawning tank and as I said everything there is going as it should so what's causing the difference? As far as a successful nest, for the show-quality breeder in thailand I got him from, yes, but for me well, this would be ther first time he's been in a tank where he had something to blow the nest into so...maybe he just need more practice, he is after all a younger fish >a year
Old 08-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

try getting an even younger fish that is about 9-10 months old they are the best!! and do great jobs with nests:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #9 
Pixierella

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
try getting an even younger fish that is about 9-10 months old they are the best!! and do great jobs with nests:)
yeah, he's a little younger than that I believe, secondly, my $8 pet store Dragonscale who's age is unknown is making a better bubble nest then he is. Ironic much?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixierella View Post
yeah, he's a little younger than that I believe, secondly, my $8 pet store Dragonscale who's age is unknown is making a better bubble nest then he is. Ironic much?
yea the younger the better
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote