Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Senor Fish

He's completely torn to shreds. He looks like a flag that got caught in a hurricaine. His water stats are still fine across the board. And since his dorsal is starting to shred, I'm wondering if it's filter current rather then tail biting. He's got a fluval sponge on his intake and that doesn't seem to have lessened the flow of the Eclipse 6.

Does anyone else have baffles for theirs? Does the plastic bottle work for them? Right now I have a IAL in front of the flow, with the stem being held under the lid but I don't think that's enough. He never sits still either. I don't think he's even sleeping. Every night when I come down he's swimming, swimming, swimming. Poor lil dude!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #2 
XSprinkleFaceX

I'm having the same problem and a user has given me go advice. Here's the thread http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....536#post442536
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

I'll have to go searching through my photobucket tomorrow to get you pics.

What I do is get an open pore sponge (like the green scrubber ones). If you can get one that is like 1/2-1 inch thick that's best, if not take two of the flatter ones.

Cut the sponge so it fits over your outflow, completely covering it. If your outflow comes out above your water line than make sure the sponge touches the top of the water. Take rubber bands (I use hair ties cuz I have so many of them) and use them to hold the sponge to the filter. You'll want to cut notches into the sponge so it lays flat instead of bending around the filter.

I hope that makes sense? It works great on my Eclipse 3, I use than in addition to the fluval sponge. The water trickles through the sponge.

ETA.. found the pics

This is also a great place for bacteria to grow and help your cycle.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 08-09-2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: found the pictures
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #4 
vaygirl

That looks good. I picked up an aquaclear sponge this morning. I have a coke bottle on there now but it's really sharp. I'll do the sponge thing as soon as I find some of my missing hair bands. It's a big square but I can cut a strip off of it I think.

Thank you guys!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #5 
vaygirl

I tried hair ties but mine were too thick. I have a couple giant plastic twistie ties that I used instead. Do you think this'll be okay? The wheel is spinning just fine and there's very little flow over the water now. Little dude was curious. :)

Here's his poor tail. :( I feel awful. On a positive note, his colors are amazing. Not at all '70's' like we thought. :D
Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #6 
Amour

Aww poor baby. He's beautiful! I hope his fins grow back again soon.

My husband made a baffle out of a water bottle and cut it so that it won't hurt my fishies fins and won't let them go in the bottle. But since you already fixed that, it's kind of moot.

Good luck!
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #7 
SilverCaracal

Yay it seems like the sponge is working!! I want to get an Eclipse 3 this weekend, so are all the Eclipse's filters too strong? I've already found a sponge. I'm just wondering...
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #8 
vaygirl

Thanks! :)

The 6 is stronger then the 3. I think the 3 is 35gph (gallons per hour) and the 6 is 75gph. I didn't notice a problem with the other 6 I have because Kilo has PK fins and so he wasn't affected when he was in it and now Huey's in that tank. My hex 5 has the same filter as the 3 and while Whiskey doesn't seem to struggle too much, I just put a sponge baffle on him just in case because I had extra sponge. He's also got the Fluval pre filter sponge because he thinks the intake is a massaging unit. :P
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Looks good IMO the eclipse filter is too strong for long finned fish. When I had my VT in the eclipse 3 he would always hang out on the other side of the tank because the outflow would push him down.

Right now I have Lee (PK) in that tank and he doesn't seem to mind it so much but I'm still thinking of putting the sponge back on my tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Kilo has none of these problems and he's got a regular aqueon HOB filter. All my long tailed guys have tearing and shredding. Tango has the most gorgeous long tail but it's frequently 'tattered' looking on the ends. He likes to let the filter current push him around.

Senor fish has finally stopped 'pacing' and is usually in his little cave now. It's a huge difference. I'm hoping he'll sleep peacefully tonight. I don't think he liked that filter at all. Whiskey has also stopped moving around as much so I think he's happier too. I'm considering ways to baffle Tango's filter. I have an impromptu baffle going as the two ping pong balls I put in for him are always right under the filter flow. Right now there's a snail having a heck of a ride on one of the balls. Lol!