Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

What kind of filter is it? I saw someone post where they took a ziploc bag and put pennies (fishing weights work too) in the bag then taped it over the outflow so the weight of the pennies slowed the flow. I've never tried that one though.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #12 
Adastra

I've never heard of a filter current blowing a fish's fins out. Pinholes can be a sign of strain though, so that makes a little sense. The extra flexing and movement of the fin, like what happens in flaring definitely can cause pinholes. I can understand how constantly fighting the current could put strain on the webbing, however, I would expect this to look similar to injuries from "blown" fins from too much flaring. It's possible that it is a combination of biting and blown fins since the current can be very stressful, as well, and that can be a trigger for biting.

Anyway, the solution I came up with for my Eclipses was to take out the biowheels and fill the biowheel compartment with either porous gravel or ceramic filter pieces. Then I put pieces of 50 micron filter pads on top of the gravel. This baffles the flow and provides a lot more surfaces for bacteria to colonize. After all, biowheels are mostly just a gimmick. They're designed so that when you replace your filter cartridge, which you shouldn't do, you still have bacteria in the biowheel.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #13 
vaygirl

It's an Aquaclear 30. I have no idea why it draws the ping pong balls under it but they stay right there, rolling around under the flow. I turned the flow down and now I have a perfect ping pong ball baffle. It's coming down in two streams, one on top of each ball. LOL! I'll take a pic tomorrow. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #14 
vaygirl

@ Adastra - I was baffled when I woke up and found him like that. It was literally overnight. He was fine when I turned his light out at 8pm and the next morning at 6am he was like you see him in the pic. Though he was a LOT more stringy. I've never had a tail biter so I don't know what to look for. It went from perfect to destroyed overnight, which is why I thought biter.

I stopped changing filter pads probably three months ago on all my Eclipses. I might try your idea eventually. I prefer using my own media and I've been itching to convert those filters to ceramic rings or something like that. I don't even use carbon in Tango's Aquaclear, just sponge and rings.

I checked his stats again today (fine), changed out the ceramic rings with new/old ones from Tango's filter and I'm hoping now that he can rest he'll heal up fine. He's been getting frozen bloodworms every day to help too.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #15 
vaygirl

His tail looks better today. The strings seem to be knitting up and I can see an edge coming back.

Here it is on Tango's Aquaclear! The amazing Ping Pong baffle. I added a strip of sponge to the outflow and it works pretty good between the two of them. :P

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #16 
Welsh

It looks to me like tail biting but I say that only because his tail has the same look as Clark Gable's did a couple of weeks ago, thankfully some of it is growing back
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

Its possible he could be tail biting as a result of the heavy flow. More than one of my fish resorted to this as a way of lightening their load.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #18 
vaygirl

I never thought of it as a means to lighten the load but that makes a lot of sense. I'm sure he'll settle in. He knows the routine now and he's not at all a skittish dude. He's a lot like Tango in personality. He did fine with his big water change today, even checked out the siphon.

I think you're all right though. He bit himself. That's the only way I can imagine that much damage happening overnight. I ordered more IAL from Amy just for him.